Johnathan Lloyd enrolls early for Duke football

Quarterback Johnathan Lloyd became the first official member of Duke's 2014 recruiting class when the program announced Sunday afternoon that he enrolled early and will participate in spring practice.

Lloyd will join the Blue Devils for his first practice when the team begins preparation for the Chick-fil-A Bowl tomorrow in Durham.

“We’re certainly excited to have Johnathan join our program,” Duke head coach David Cutcliffe said in a press release. “Obviously, he becomes the first member of the class that will officially sign in February, and this is a unique opportunity for Johnathan to experience our practice schedule prior to enrolling in classes next month. Johnathan has had an outstanding career as a leader and player during his time at Southern Alamance.”

A 6-foot, 195-pound signal-caller, Lloyd was rated as a three-star prospect by ESPN. The Graham, N.C., native threw for 3,068 yards with 26 touchdowns and seven interceptions during his senior season at Southern Alamance High School. A dual-threat quarterback, Lloyd also ran for 755 yards and 11 touchdowns and led the Patriots to the state playoffs.

A highly-recruited athlete coming out of high school, Lloyd turned down scholarship offers from a number of top FBS programs to sign with the Blue Devils. Lloyd's long list of offers included Clemson, Florida, Notre Dame, Ohio State and South Carolina. He chose Duke because David Cutcliffe would give him the opportunity to play quarterback instead of moving to another skill position like wide receiver, and because he would have an opportunity to suit up for head baseball coach Chris Pollard as an outfielder.

Lloyd is the only member of Duke's current recruiting class to enroll early this season. The Blue Devils currently have 16 commitments for the Class of 2014.

Last season, four Duke freshmen enrolled early to participate in spring practice—cornerback Evrett Edwards, safety Quay Mann, quarterback Parker Boehme and linebacker Dominic McDonald. All four redshirted this season. Other notable Blue Devils to enroll early include running back Josh Snead, quarterbacks Brandon Connette and Thomas Sirk and defensive tackle Sydney Sarmiento.

Share and discuss “Johnathan Lloyd enrolls early for Duke football” on social media.