Around the ACC: Week 8

With nonconference play wrapping up and ACC play preparing to head into full swing for every team, here is a look at the current standings and recent results for each team:

1. Maryland (8-5, 1-0 in the ACC): Maryland 85, Tulsa 74—The Terrapins returned from Christmas break by bouncing back from a disappointing 83-77 home loss to Boston University and overcoming an early 15-point deficit to beat the Golden Hurricanes at home on Sunday led by junior guard Dez WellsMaryland's go-to-guy had 18 points and 10 rebounds. The Terrapins also got a boost from sophomore guard Seth Allen, who scored 15 points off the bench in his season debut after missing the first 12 games of the season due to a broken foot. Allen will need to continue providing a spark for Maryland if the Terrapins are to overcome early-season disappointments and make the NCAA Tournament with a strong showing in conference play.
  2. Virginia Tech (7-5, 1-0): UNC Greensboro 55, Virginia Tech 52— The Hokies suffered another atrocious home loss on Saturday after opening the season with a loss to South Carolina Upstate and have struggled offensively of late, scoring just 52 points in each of their last two games, both losses. If Virginia Tech wants to escape the ACC cellar, the Hokies will need to find a way to get consistent production from someone other than senior forward Jerell Eddie. Eddie had a horrific game against UNC Greensboro, going 1-of-12 from the field, and the other Virginia Tech players were unable to pick up the slack. If the Hokies can't find ways to score without their leading scorer, they will likely suffer more disappointing losses against a brutal ACC schedule.
  3. No. 2 Syracuse (12-0): No. 2 Syracuse 78, No. 8 Villanova 62—The Orange have been as impressive as any team in the country so far this season and used a 20-0 run to overcome an early 27-11 deficit at home on Saturday to hand the Wildcats their first loss and earn their best win of the season. The backcourt was the major question for Syracuse coming into the season, but freshman Tyler Ennis and sophomore Trevor Cooney have been phenomenal and taken a great deal of pressure off the preseason ACC Player of the Year, senior forward C.J. Fair—the duo combined for 41 points on Saturday and is the reason the Orange are now the favorite to win the ACC. Syracuse plays Duke's last opponent, Eastern Michigan, before opening conference play at home against Miami this week.
  4. Pittsburgh (11-1): The Panthers had the week off and got a longer Christmas break than most teams after their last game on Dec. 21 and will return to the hardwood on New Year's Eve for a game against Albany. Pittsburgh's lone loss this season was a 44-43 slug-fest loss at the hands of Cincinnati, but the Panthers have preyed on several weak opponents to this point, making it difficult to gauge their prospects entering conference play. However, if Pittsburgh continues to play rugged defense and rebound, it is hard to envision the Panthers not being near the top of the ACC standings.
  5. No. 7 Duke (10-2): No. 9 Duke 82, Eastern Michigan 59The Blue Devils dispatched Eastern Michigan 82-59 at Cameron Indoor Stadium on Saturday and seem to be making the necessary strides defensively to live up to the preseason hype and compete with Syracuse for the ACC crown. The resurgence of guards Andre Dawkins and Rasheed Sulaimon should should give Duke confidence as the Blue Devils prepare for a New Year's Eve contest against Elon in Greensboro and a road contest against Notre Dame to start conference play.
  6. Wake Forest (10-3): Xavier 68, Wake Forest 53— The Demon Deacons struggled mightily in their first true road game of the season, shooting just 36 percent and getting routed by the Musketeers. Wake Forest is in a situation similar to that of Virginia Tech, needing more offensive threats to emerge to support sophomore guard and leading scorer Codi Miller-McIntyre against tougher competition if the Demon Deacons want to escape the ACC cellar.
  7. No. 19 North Carolina (9-3): No. 19 North Carolina 75, Northern Kentucky 60—Despite a disappointing first-half effort, the Tar Heels avoided another home upset and pulled away in the second half to put away the Norse. After a roller-coaster ride in nonconference play, North Carolina will take on UNC-Wilmington before traveling to Winston-Salem to open ACC play at Wake Forest with the P.J. Hairston distraction finally behind it. Even without Hairston, the Tar Heels have shown that they have the ability to play quality basketball against top competition this season and could easily contend for the ACC title.
  8. North Carolina State (9-3): No. 25 Missouri 68, North Carolina State 64—The Wolfpack missed out on the opportunity to score a marquee nonconference win on Saturday at home, squandering a 10-point second-half lead and a 24-point, 13-rebound performance by sophomore forward T.J. Warren to fall to the Tigers, who escaped Raleigh with a hard-fought win after Jabari Brown's go-ahead 3-pointer with 55 seconds left. Despite the disappointing loss, North Carolina State has exceeded expectations since losing at home to North Carolina Central in overtime early in the season and could surprise some teams in conference play led by Warren, who has to be in the running for ACC Player of the Year—the sophomore is averaging 23.9 points and 7.8 rebounds on 54.4 percent shooting from the field.
  9. Virginia (9-3): Virginia 66, Norfolk State 56— The Cavaliers overcame a slow start and got just enough offense in a balanced effort to put away Norfolk State at home last Monday before a six-day Christmas break. Virginia will travel to Knoxville to take on Tennessee on Monday for a final road nonconference test before playing at Florida State to open conference play and could have a solid year in conference play depending on their offensive production—the Cavaliers' defensive prowess cannot be questioned.
  10. Clemson (8-3): The Tigers got the week off and haven't played since falling 66-64 at Auburn on Dec. 19 and suffering their second close road loss to an SEC opponent. Clemson takes on Virginia Military Institute on Monday before opening conference play at Boston College—it will be interesting to see if the Tigers, led by junior forward K.J. McDaniels, can take advantage of a favorable ACC schedule. Clemson plays Duke, Syracuse and North Carolina only once this season.
  11. Florida State (8-3): The Seminoles also did not play last week and have had eight days off since their 60-55 home triumph over then-No. 22 Massachusetts. Florida State is in position to make the NCAA Tournament with a successful conference performance and will conclude nonconference play against Charleston Southern on Monday before hosting Virginia to kick off ACC play with a typical Leonard Hamilton squad that is tough and balanced.
  12. Notre Dame (9-4): Notre Dame 87, Canisius 81 (OT)—In their first game since blowing an eight-point lead in the final 50 seconds against No. 3 Ohio State and losing leading scorer and senior guard Jerian Grant due to academic violations, the Irish managed to avoid a third disastrous home loss in their final nonconference game led by senior point guard Eric Atkins, who poured in 30 points. Atkins fouled out before Notre Dame's collapse against the Buckeyes and will be looked to as the team's leader entering its first season in the ACC with a home contest against No. 7 Duke.
  13. Georgia Tech (9-4): Georgia Tech 58, Charlotte 55— For a program in rebuilding mode, senior guard and Tennessee transfer Trae Golden's game-winning 3-pointer with 3.6 seconds left on the road in its final nonconference game of the season was enormous. The Yellow Jackets will look to continue improving led by the journeyman Golden and will face road tests against Maryland and No. 7 Duke in their first conference games.
  14. Miami (7-5, 0-1): The Hurricanes got the week off and have gotten two solid wins since their heartbreaking home loss to Virginia Tech in their conference opener on Dec. 8. Miami will cap off its nonconference slate with a contest against Loyola Maryland on Monday before road games against No. 2 Syracuse and No. 19 North Carolina to continue ACC play. Because of their limited offensive potential, it is difficult to envision the Hurricanes escaping the ACC cellar.
  15. Boston College (4-9, 0-1): Virginia Commonwealth 69, Boston College 50—A season that began with huge promise because of sophomore guard Olivier Hanlan and junior forward Ryan Anderson has turned into a nightmare for the Eagles because of a brutal nonconference slate. Boston College has simply not gotten any production outside of its central duo thus far this season—this trend continued against a pesky Virginia Commonwealth team with high aspirations. If the Eagles cannot get a road win against Harvard (11-1) on New Year's Day, they will have 10 losses entering ACC play and no realistic NCAA tournament hopes.

Share and discuss “Around the ACC: Week 8” on social media.