Around the ACC: Week 6

Here is a look at the current ACC basketball standings and a recap of recent ACC basketball action, with many teams getting a holiday break and break for finals before conference play—four lucky teams got an early jump on conference play this season, though:

1. Virginia Tech (7-3, 1-0 in the ACC): The Hokies find themselves atop the conference by virtue of their 61-60 overtime win at Miami on Dec. 8 led by senior forward Jarell Eddie, who made key plays at the end of regulation and in overtime to will his team to victory. This might be the case frequently for Virginia Tech this season—Eddie is averaging 19.3 points per game and has long been one of the more explosive players in the conference.
  2. Maryland (7-4, 1-0): After losing a 77-75 stunner to George Washington at home on Dec. 8 on a buzzer-beater by Maurice Creek, the Terrapins bounced back, downing Boston College on the road 88-80 on Thursday led by senior guard Dez Wells, who poured in a career-high 33 points, before winning a surprisingly close game against Florida Atlantic 66-62 at home on Saturday. The week summarizes Maryland's season to this point—head coach Mark Turgeon has gotten nothing but inconsistent play from an extremely talented group.
  3. Pittsburgh (10-0): There is something to be said for convincingly winning the games on your schedule, and the Panthers have done just that led by senior forwards Lamar Patterson and Talib Zanna, dismantling every opponent they have faced to this point with a strong inside attack, including Youngstown State 91-73 on Saturday. However, Pittsburgh remains unranked because of an extremely weak strength of schedule—the Panthers' neutral-site game against Cincinnati on Tuesday will be their toughest test of the season to this point.
  4. No. 2 Syracuse (10-0): The Orange continued rolling, getting a solid road win 68-63 at St. John's on Sunday led by senior forward C.J. Fair and sophomore guard Trevor Cooney, who both chipped in 21 points. Syracuse again looks like a team ready to contend because of its length and balance and a clear go-to-guy in Fair, who made several key buckets on the baseline on Sunday to preserve the victory. The Orange will try to get their second victory over a ranked opponent on Dec. 28 against No. 9 Villanova (10-0).
  5. Clemson (8-2): The Tigers bounced back from a 74-68 road defeat at the hands of Arkansas to trounce Furman 71-35 on Saturday. Junior forward K.J. McDaniels has been extremely impressive so far, averaging 17.6 points and 6.6 rebounds per game as Clemson's main offensive threat—the Tigers rely on their defense and rebounding to win games, and will look to continue doing so when conference play begins.
  6. Wake Forest (8-2): The Demon Deacons have not played since their 76-66 overtime triumph against Richmond, and have two easy nonconference games against St. Bonaventure and UNC-Greensboro before traveling to face Xavier on the road. Wake Forest has been led by sophomore guard Codi Miller-McIntyre, who averages 17.9 points per game, and has had a successful nonconference campaign so far.
  7. No. 8 Duke (7-2): The Blue Devils have not played since their 79-69 victory at home against Michigan in the ACC/Big-10 Challenge. That was their first victory against a ranked opponent and most balanced effort of the season. After a tuneup against Gardner-Webb, the Blue Devils will take on UCLA (9-1) on Thursday at Madison Square Garden. Despite an encouraging win against the Wolverines, Duke was still left facing an enormous question: what has happened to Rasheed Sulaimon?
  8. No. 14 North Carolina (7-2): The up-and-down season continued for the Tar Heels, who got their third top-tier victory of the season, this one a 82-77 home victory against then-No. 11 Kentucky on Saturday aided by plenty of foul calls and Wildcat miscues. North Carolina has looked like one of the best teams in the country and like a mid-major school at different points this season, and will take on Texas on Tuesday looking to find more consistency—sophomore point guard Marcus Paige has been the only consistent Tar Heel all season.
  9. North Carolina State (7-2): The Wolfpack have won five straight since losing in overtime to N.C. Central, being led by sophomore forward T.J. Warren, who is averaging 23.3 points and seven rebounds per game while shooting 54.9 percent from the field. North Carolina State put down Detroit 82-79 on Saturday and will look to earn two SEC upset wins against Tennessee and No. 23 Missouri before conference play starts.
  10. Notre Dame (8-3): It has been a mixed bag for the Fighting Irish so far this season, and the trend continued last week, with Notre Dame getting upset at home 73-69 by North Dakota State before scoring a big 79-72 win against in-state rival Indiana in a neutral-site game. The Irish could compete well in ACC play this season led by senior guard Jerian Grant, but Notre Dame's defensive consistency certainly has to be disappointing for head coach Mike Brey considering they have such a veteran-laden squad. The Irish will look to score a huge upset against No. 3 Ohio State (10-0) on Saturday and turn their season around.
  11. Georgia Tech (7-3): The Yellow Jackets did not play last week after getting a much-needed 67-64 win over Illinois in the ACC/Big 10 Challenge. Georgia Tech has relied on a balanced attack and tenacious defense so far this season but will need to get more out of Tennessee transfer Trae Golden if they are to have any chance of escaping the bottom tier of the conference.
  12. Virginia (7-3): The Cavaliers also got last week off after suffering two tough losses the week before, a 48-38 setback against then-No. 8 Wisconsin and a 75-72 road upset at the hands of a tough Green Bay team. Senior guard Joe Harris will need to start shouldering more of the load if Virginia wants to live up to expectations this season—the preseason ACC first-team performer is averaging just 11.3 points per game and has been a little too unselfish and passive this season.
  13. Florida State (6-3): The Seminoles were yet another ACC team with a week off last week and will look to upset No. 22 Massachusetts on Saturday led by senior guard Ian Miller and senior forward Okaro White. Florida State has three close losses to solid teams this season—Michigan, Florida and Minnesota—but is still searching for another marquee nonconference victory to supplement their win over Virginia Commenwealth.
  14. Miami (5-5, 0-1): It has been a struggle so far for the Hurricanes this season, to say the least. Miami has not played since suffering a brutal 61-60 home overtime loss to Virginia Tech on Dec. 8, their third overtime loss of the season. The Hurricanes have been playing hard, they just have not been able to get enough offense down the stretch to come away with wins in close games with limited options other than senior guard Rion Brown. It could be a long rebuilding year for Miami this season in the revamped ACC.
  15. Boston College (4-7, 0-1): Despite the heroics of sophomore guard Olivier Hanlan and junior forward Ryan Anderson, the Eagles have been unable to right the ship, falling 88-80 at home to Maryland last week before downing Philadelphia 67-50. Defensive inconsistency has plagued Boston College throughout a brutal nonconference schedule that will not get any easier—the Eagles play Virginia Commonwealth, Auburn and Harvard before continuing ACC play.

Share and discuss “Around the ACC: Week 6” on social media.