X factor: Duke basketball vs. East Carolina

The Blue Devils will return to action tonight against East Carolina after blowing out UNC-Asheville 91-55 last night at Cameron Indoor Stadium. Here's a breakdown of two players from each team who could have a major impact in tonight’s game.

Duke: guard Andre Dawkins

If any Blue Devil fans had forgotten about Dawkins, who did not play last season, they were reminded on Friday night against Florida Atlantic that the sharpshooter was back. Dawkins scored 17 points in just 19 minutes against the Owls and dropped another 13 points last night against UNC-Asheville. Dawkins has come on strong after playing just two minutes total in the team's first two games due in large part to a back injury. His ability to hit 3-point shots and his improved defensive tenacity has led the Cameron Crazies to chant “Dre’ all day,” over and over again over the past few games. In his first three years at Duke, Dawkins averaged 7.0 points per game and shot 40.1 percent from behind the arc. This season, he is boasts a 57.1 percent 3-point shooting percentage and has scored 30 points in his last two games. Dawkins will try to be that spark-plug off the bench and look for opportunities to knock down 3-point shots as Blue Devils will attempt to build an early lead over the Pirates.

East Carolina: guard Paris Roberts-Campbell

In the team’s 76-74 win over Norfolk State, the junior had a season-high 22 points to go along with four assists and three steals to help the Pirates remain undefeated. This season, Roberts-Campbell has been a nice complement in the backcourt to senior guard, Akeem Richmond who leads the team in scoring this season. But if Roberts-Campbell can put in some effective play, it will make the duo tough to defend and could allow East Carolina to keep the game close. If the Pirates want to move to 5-0 and upset the Blue Devils, Roberts-Campbell must continue his high level of play.

Share and discuss “X factor: Duke basketball vs. East Carolina” on social media.