Week 12: Quick Hits from Lunch With Cut

Duke head coach David Cutcliffe held his weekly press conference today. Cutcliffe talked about his team’s 38-20 victory against N.C. State last week and also the upcoming matchup against Miami. Here are some highlights from his 30-minute question and answer session. The Blue Devils play the Hurricanes Saturday at 3:30 p.m. at Wallace Wade Stadium.

Duke outlasted the Wolfpack Saturday thanks to two fourth-quarter interceptions returned for touchdowns by DeVon Edwards and a late-game touchdown drive engineered by quarterback Brandon Connette. The Blue Devils will look to improve to 8-2 this weekend against Miami. The Hurricanes joined the ACC in 2004 and have beaten Duke eight times in a row since 2005. The Blue Devils last win against Miami was in 1962.

"A lot of people have had trouble with Miami in the past, I can tell you that because they are significantly more athletic than teams you'll see. There has been a speed deficit when we played a team like Miami. We've given up way to many explosive plays on defense trying to match them."—Cutcliffe

Although Duke's defense has held strong in recent weeks, allowing less than 15 points on average in its last four games, the Blue Devil offense has sputtered. Duke managed just one offensive touchdown against N.C. State on its opening drive of the game. Starter Anthony Boone threw three interceptions, backup Brandon Connette gave away a fumble and the Blue Devils only managed 321 total yards of offense.

"I've talked with [offensive coordinator Kurt] Roper at length, and we've discussed it and talked with both Anthony and Brandon. We'll just keep working through the week and evaluating tape and do what's in the best interests of the team. But I would expect you'll see both of them play."—Cutcliffe

Boone has thrown seven interceptions in his last two games, and Connette replaced the redshirt junior midway through the second half Saturday. Although Connette stepped up big and led the Blue Devils back against the Wolfpack, Boone is still listed as the starter as of today. But Cutcliffe indicated that it is still unclear who will start Saturday.

"I really believe we are playing a Miami team where you just can't find a physical weakness."—Cutcliffe

The Hurricanes rush for almost 180 yards a game behind one of the biggest offensive lines in the conference. Although starting tailback Duke Johnson is out for the remainder of the season with a broken ankle, Miami's rushing attack is still potent.

Despite giving up 42 points at home against Virginia Tech last weekend, the Hurricanes have one of the best defenses in the conference. Miami has given up just 23 points per game on the year, the 41st best mark in the nation.

"One of our fourth-year seniors, Juwan Thompson, has been the epitome of a special teams player not just this season but last [season] and all summer. He took it upon himself this summer to really become a coach and teach our young people the fine arts of special teams play, and it has paid off. I let our squad know that we are adding a fifth permanent captain, and that would be Juwan Thompson, for the area of special teams because he has earned it."—Cutcliffe

Cutcliffe made an announcement that senior Juwan Thompson has been honored as Duke's fifth captain. Thompson has primarily played running back for four years, but has also served as a key figure on the Blue Devil kickoff team. Recently Thompson has also seen time at linebacker to support a unit with little depth due to health issues.

"I don't care if they say we are a basketball school. How about, Duke athletics are a bunch of winners. Duke is a winning school, and we would like to participate in that."—Cutcliffe

After more than 32,000 fans poured into Wallace Wade Stadium for Saturday's matchup against N.C. State, Cutcliffe expressed his sentiments about the growing popularity of Duke's football program at a traditionally 'basketball-first' school.

Share and discuss “Week 12: Quick Hits from Lunch With Cut” on social media.