Thoughts on the AP Poll: Week 11

Duke loses a vote

After receiving two votes last week, the Blue Devils only received one vote this week even though they did not play. Virginia Tech's 34-27 loss at Boston College likely had something to do with that, as Duke's big win definitely lost some value over the weekend.

Seminoles gain ground

With their 41-14 rout of in-state rival Miami at home, Florida State (8-0) gained ground on No. 2 Oregon (8-0) and actually received six first place votes while the Ducks only received two. Though Oregon is ahead by nine points over the third-ranked Seminoles, it is likely that Florida State passed Oregon this week in the BCS Standings. Florida State fans were chanting "we want Bama" at the end of Saturday's contest and may in fact get the Crimson Tide in the National Championship if Oregon slips up at No.6 Stanford on Thursday and the Seminoles win their final four games. It will be fascinating to see which team finishes the season ranked No. 2 in the BCS if Alabama, Oregon and Florida State all finish the season undefeated. With their disappointing loss at the hands of the Seminoles, Miami (7-1) fell seven spots and is now No. 14 and will be without star sophomore running back Duke Johnson for the rest of the season because of a broken ankle.

Pokes win shootout

Oklahoma State (7-1) rose three spots and is now No. 15 after a convincing 52-34 win at Texas Tech (7-2). The Cowboys used a balanced offensive attack to control the pace of the game and keep Texas Tech's prolific offense on the sidelines as much as possible, and now find themselves in a tight Big 12 Title race with No. 6 Baylor, No. 12 Oklahoma and Texas. Oklahoma plays at Baylor on Thursday, a second Thursday night showdown with BCS implications. With their atrocious defensive performance and second straight loss, the Red Raiders fell 10 spots and are now No. 25 after cracking the top 10 two weeks ago.

Spartans Batter Wolverines

Michigan State (8-1) remained undefeated in conference play by crushing their rivals 29-6 in East Lansing. With the win, the Spartans moved up six spots and are now No. 18. Meanwhile, Michigan (6-2) fell out of the rankings after being ranked No. 23 last week. Michigan State sacked Wolverine quarterback Devin Gardner seven times and held Michigan to an all-time low negative 48 rushing yards.

Share and discuss “Thoughts on the AP Poll: Week 11” on social media.