Search committee to select new dean for the Nicholas School of the Environment

The search committee for the next dean of the Nicholas School of the Environment has been selected, according to a Duke press release.

The current dean, William Chameides, announced in August that he would be stepping down at the end of the academic year. He has been in the position since 2007.

The committee will submit its recommendations to Provost Peter Lange and President Richard Brodhead by April 1, 2014, the press release noted.

Dean Urban, professor of landscape ecology and chair of the Nicholas School's Division of Environmental Sciences and Policy, will head the committee.

The other committee members are Lori Bennear, associate professor of environmental economics and policy; Emily Bernhardt, associate professor of biology; Scottee Cantrell, associate dean of marketing, communications and strategic engagement at the Nicholas School; Brian Murray, director for economic analysis at the Nicholas Institute for Environmental Policy Solutions; Virginia Parker, Trinity '80 and chief investment officer of Parker Global Strategies, LLC; Margaret Perry, a 2014 candidate for a master in environmental management from the Nicholas School; Lincoln Pratson, Semans-Brown Professor and chair of earth and ocean sciences in the Nicholas School; Jennifer Swenson, director of professional studies for the master in environmental management and master of forestry degrees at the Nicholas School; Cindy Van Dover, director of the Duke Marine Laboratory and Harvey Smith Professor of Biological Oceanography; and Mark Wiesner, James L. Meriam Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering.

The committee additionally has three ex officio members: Kelly Brownell, dean of the Sanford School of Public Policy, Benjamin Reese, vice president of the Office for Institutional Equity, and Keith Whitfield, vice provost for academic affairs.

Share and discuss “Search committee to select new dean for the Nicholas School of the Environment” on social media.