N.C. State basketball 2013-14 season preview

T.J. Warren will need to step up for the Wolfpack, which lost the bulk of its starters from last season.
Overall record: 24-11, 11-7 in the ACC

Head coach: Mark Gottfried

Tenure at N.C. State
: Third season

Career coaching record
: 326-179

Home court
: PNC Arena

Starters:
F Kyle Washington, F T.J Warren, G Desmond Lee,
G Ralston Turner, G Tyler Lewis

Bench
: G Anthony 'Cat' Barber, F Beejay Anya, F Lennard Freeman

Overview: After losing six of its top seven scorers from last season, N.C. State has a lot of talent to replace. The Wolfpack enter the 2013-14 season in a much different place than last year, when they were picked as the preseason favorites in the ACC, expected to beat out Duke and North Carolina for the conference title. The Wolfpack return only three players from last year's squad in redshirt senior Jordan Vandenberg, sophomore Tyler Lewis and sophomore T.J. Warren and will rely heavily on newcomers.

Warren, a 6-foot-8 forward, started 14 games as a freshman and averaged 12.1 points and 4.2 rebounds. Warren is expected to be the go-to guy on offense with his ability to attack the basket and knock down jump shots. Lewis, a 5-foot-11 point guard, saw limited action as a freshman but will undoubtedly take on a bigger role this season. Averaging only 3.5 points a game last season, Lewis is likely to start this year and has the chance for a breakout season after gaining 15 pounds of muscle.

In the frontcourt, the Wolfpack will struggle with Vandenberg out for four-to-six weeks with a left ankle sprain. The 7-foot-1 center was not much of a factor during the 2012-13 season, but once he returns the team he could add some much-needed size in the post. With Warren as the only other forward with experience, the Wolfpack may need to rely on freshmen Lenard Freeman, Beejay Anya and Kyle Washington more than they would like. Anya in particular is a highly regarded recruit who may make an instant impact.

One thing that needs to go right: With little depth in the frontcourt, Warren takes on the lead scoring role and dominates on the glass.

One thing that could go wrong: A young roster filled with many players who have never experienced Division I basketball proves too much for the Wolfpack to overcome.

Share and discuss “N.C. State basketball 2013-14 season preview” on social media.