Duke volleyball reaches top 15 in coaches' poll

Senior Ali McCurdy moved into first place on the ACC’s all-time digs list as the Blue Devils defeated Boston College and moved up to No. 15 in the nation.

A year after mustering just 15 wins, Duke has climbed back through the national rankings, moving up to No. 15 in the latest American Volleyball Coaches Association Poll. The Blue Devils last held a top-15 ranking nationally Nov. 5, 2007 when they were No. 14.

After defeating both Syracuse and Boston College this past weekend by scores of 3-1, Duke has now won 16 of its last 17 games. The last time the Blue Devils won 16-of-17 matches was all the way back in 2006, when the team closed the season with 22 wins its its last 23 matches, including two 11-game win streaks.

With Saturday’s win against the Eagles, Duke improved to 20-3 overall this season. The last time the Blue Devils earned their 20th win this early in the season was 2009, when they won their 20th game Oct. 30 also against Boston College. That season, they went on to win 27 games but fell in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

Duke’s two-win weekend also showcased some individual achievements as senior libero Ali McCurdy became the ACC’s all-time leader in digs. With McCurdy’s dominance, the Blue Devils have maintained a 16.05 digs per set average, which tops the ACC. Duke also leads the ACC in kills per set and assists per set, ranking fifth in the nation in both categories.

With an 11-1 record in the ACC, the Blue Devils sit atop the conference with a one-game lead on No. 18 Florida State with eight games remaining in the season. Duke defeated the Seminoles in a five-set match Oct. 25 at Cameron Indoor Stadium. Against ranked opponents, the Blue Devils have a 3-2 record so far. Duke lost in straight sets to Minnesota and Florida—both ranked in the top 10 at the time—early in the season but have since beaten then-No. 16 Illinois and then-No. 10 North Carolina.

Duke will next put its ranking and its six-match winning streak on the line with a weekend road trip to Maryland and Pittsburgh. The Blue Devils are not slated to square off with another ranked opponent until their final three matches of the season.

Share and discuss “Duke volleyball reaches top 15 in coaches' poll” on social media.