Clemson basketball 2013-14 season preview

Clemson will need junior K.J. McDaniels to provide leadership, as there are no seniors on the roster.

Overall record: 13-18, 5-13 in the ACC

Head coach: Brad Brownell

Tenure at Clemson: Fourth season

Career coaching record: 218-130

Home court: Littlejohn Coliseum

Starters: C Landry Nnoko, F K.J. McDaniels, F Jaron Blossomgame, G Devin Coleman, G Jordan Roper

Bench: G Rod Hall, G Adonis Filer

Outlook: After losing 10 of its final 11 games last season, Clemson looks for nothing but improvement from last season’s shoddy showing. The Tigers graduated two of their three defensive stars—Devin Booker and Milton Jennings—this past year. Booker and Jennings were both top scorers for the team alongside K.J. McDaniels and helped solidify Clemson’s notable interior defense.

With no seniors on this year's team, Clemson will look to McDaniels for leadership. The 6-foot-6 junior small forward snagged 50 offensive rebounds last season, second best on the team behind only Booker. McDaniels is the team's leading returning scorer, averaging 10.9 points per game, but was more notable on the defensive end, blocking 58 shots last s.

Redshirt freshman Jaron Blossomgame was Clemson’s top recruit last year, but leg surgery forced him to sit out the season. He underwent another surgery in June to speed up his recovery. The 6-foot-7 forward will step into the shoes of the graduated seniors to play alongside McDaniels.

Clemson lost to Duke 68-40 at Cameron Indoor Stadium last year before falling in the first round of the ACC tournament to Florida State. The Tigers have not won a game in the ACC tournament since 2011.

One thing that needs to go right: The Tigers find their shooting stroke and improve on an abysmal 42-percent clip from last season.

One thing that could go wrong: Losing key interior pieces leaves Clemson unable to defend the rim and susceptible to second-chance opportunities.

Share and discuss “Clemson basketball 2013-14 season preview” on social media.