Breaking down a wild final day of ACC play

Heading into the final Saturday of the regular season, five of the seven teams in the ACC's Coastal Division have a shot at the division crown.

The Blue Devils already clinched a share of the Coastal Division title with a 28-21 win against Wake Forest last week. A win will send Duke to its first ACC championship game in program history and a matchup with No. 2 Florida State.

In case you need a refresher, here are the Coastal Division standings heading into Saturday's action:

1. Duke.................5-2
2. Georgia Tech....5-3
3. Miami................5-3
4. Virginia Tech.....4-3
5. North Carolina..4-3
6. Pittsburgh.........3-5
7. Virginia..............0-7

So here's how this all breaks down heading into Saturday. Georgia Tech is already finished its conference slate and will take on in-state rival Georgia in a nonconference contest Saturday. Miami wrapped up its ACC schedule with a 41-31 win at Pittsburgh Friday night and will finish the season 5-3 in the conference as well.

Might as well put your calculators away, because there is no head-to-head tiebreaker scenario in the Coastal Division. In order for there to be a tie atop the division, Duke would have to lose to North Carolina on the road at Kenan Stadium, which would ensure at least a four-way tie for the Coastal crown. Virginia Tech can further complicate matters if it puts a helpless Virginia team out of its misery, putting five teams at 5-3 on the year.

We'll save you all the crazy tiebreaker scenarios and cut to the chase. Of these five teams, only three of them have a chance to represent the ACC in next week's conference championship game in Charlotte. North Carolina and Georgia Tech are already mathematically eliminated from the championship game hunt, but still have plenty to play for Saturday.

Here's what has to happen for the three remaining teams to reach the ACC title game:

Duke: Beat North Carolina.

Virginia Tech: Beat Virginia and North Carolina beats Duke.

Miami: Virginia beats Virginia Tech and North Carolina beats Duke.

Hopefully this clears up a bit of the mess that is the ACC Coastal. In case you missed them, here are the game times and TV listings for today's division games. As advertised, it should be a jam-packed Saturday of exciting gridiron action.

Duke at North Carolina, 12 p.m., ESPN2
Georgia at Georgia Tech, 3:30 p.m., ABC
Virginia Tech at Virginia, 3:30 p.m., ESPNU

Share and discuss “Breaking down a wild final day of ACC play” on social media.