Around the ACC: Week 12

Clemson 55 Georgia Tech 31

Quarterback Tajh Boyd threw for 340 yards and four touchdowns, while wide receiver Martavis Bryant caught five passes for 176 to lift the No. 7 Tigers (9-1, 7-1) over the Yellow Jackets (6-4, 5-3 ), who lost control of their own destiny in the Coastal division. Georgia Tech had won three straight but could not answer the powerful Clemson offense, which accumulated 551 total yards. Boyd left with an injury injury in third quarter, but it does not appear serious and he should play next week against The Citadel.

Florida State 59 Syracuse 3

No. 2 Florida State (10-0, 8-0) remained undefeated, holding Syracuse (5-5, 3-3) to just 247 yards of total offense which resulted in just one field goal late in the fourth quarter. Seminole quarterback and Heisman trophy candidate Jameis Winston completed 19-of-21 passes for 277 yards and two touchdowns in just two quarters of play, while six different players scored touchdowns for Florida State. The Seminoles have closed out their ACC slate undefeated and only have to face nonconference opponents Idaho and Florida before going to the ACC title game. The Orange continue to struggle, particularly in the passing game, which only accounted for 104 yards on the afternoon. But Syracuse can become bowl eligible with a win over Pittsburgh or Boston College in its final two games.

Boston College 38 North Carolina State 21

Boston College (6-4, 3-3) became bowl eligible with a win over the Wolfpack (3-7, 0-7), who have lost six straight games since starting the season 3-1. Eagle runningback Andre Williams, the FBS’s leading rusher, ran for 339 yards on 42 carries set an ACC all-time record for most rushing yards in a game. North Carolina State had few answers for the explosive Boston College ground game. Quarterback Brandon Mitchell was out with an injury and the Wolfpack only rushed for only 35 yards. The loss eliminates North Carolina State and first-year head coach Dave Deoren from bowl eligibility this season.

North Carolina 34 Pittsburgh 27

The Tar Heels (5-5, 4-3) built a 27-3 lead on Panthers (5-5, 2-4) in the first half, but saw it evaporate, as Pittsburgh scored 24 second half points to tie the game in the fourth quarter. Quarterback Tom Savage led the charge, throwing for 313 yards and two second half touchdowns. Late in the fourth quarter, North Carolina wide receiver Ryan Switzer returned a punt for 61 yards and a touchdown for the go-ahead score. Tar Heel quarterback Marquise Williams, who stepped in for the injured Bryn Renner, continues to play well, accounting for 252 total yards.

Maryland 27 Virginia Tech 24 (OT)

After starting the season 5-1 before losing the past three games, Maryland (6-4, 2-4) finally won its sixth game to become bowl eligible. Terrapin quarterback C.J. Brown rushed for 122 yards and William Likely returned a punt for a 63-yard touchdown to give Maryland an early two-touchdown lead. Virginia Tech (7-4, 4-3) quarterback Logan Thomas found wide receiver Willie Byrd with the game-tying touchdown pass midway through the fourth quarter, which sent the matchup into overtime. In overtime, the Terrapin defense held the Hokies to a field goal, then Brown dove into the end zone for the go-ahead touchdown on the Maryland possession. Virginia Tech continues to exhibit inconsistent play, as it has beaten Coastal heavyweights Miami and Georgia Tech on the road, but fell to Maryland at home.

Share and discuss “Around the ACC: Week 12” on social media.