Vaccinations spike following new DUHS flu shot requirements

The Duke University Health System has experienced a dramatic increase in flu vaccinations this year following a major policy change in April.

All DUHS employees must be vaccinated for the flu or have a legitimate medical or religious excuse by Dec. 6. This change may account for the 14,060 vaccines given out on Sept. 18th—a "blitz" vaccine day where thousands of employees tried to vaccinate as many healthcare employees as possible­. Last year's blitz resulted in 12,487 vaccinations.

The Duke Health System is comprised of the Duke University School of Medicine, the Duke University School of Nursing, the Duke Clinic and several hospitals, including the Duke Regional Hospital and Duke Raleigh Hospital.

“Our main motive is to keep our patients safe—we don’t want a healthcare worker to be carrying the flu virus and accidentally infect a patient,” said Gail Shulby, chief of staff and clinical affairs for DUHS.

The influenza vaccine is free for all students and staff with the presentation of legitimate Duke card, said Shelby Hill-McCray, a senior nurse for Employee Occupational Health and Wellness.

Student Health, which operates under DUHS policies, has immunized over 2,800 students since Aug. 1, Director of Student Health John Vaughn said.

“Student Health goes way above and beyond to try to vaccinate all students on campus,” Shulby said. “It’s so important that students get vaccinated—the living situation alone makes them so prone to disease.”

Recipients of the flu shot have expressed differing opinions, ranging from begrudging acceptance to support.

“I really didn’t want it,” said Arianne Leslie, who only received a flu shot as a requirement for the DUHS nursing training program she is in. “I don’t think it’s healthy to get one, I think it’s better for your body to fight it on its own."

Other staff members, including Irish Turrentine, a human resources associate at the Library of Human Resources, view the vaccines as an effective way of staying protected from the flu,

“It’s a preventative measure for me—it makes me feel safe when I get my flu shot,” she said.

Shulby attributed this year’s higher vaccination turnout to thousands of dedicated healthcare professionals.

“The blitz takes a village of an effort," Shulby said. "There’s a huge team of people who work different roles to pull it off."

Share and discuss “Vaccinations spike following new DUHS flu shot requirements” on social media.