Chautauqua Lecture discusses ultrasound technologies

If you thought ultrasounds are just for looking at babies in the womb, think again.

Kathy Nightingale, James L. and Elizabeth M. Vincent associate professor of Biomedical Engineering, explained the principles of ultrasound imaging to a packed audience Tuesday night in Brown Residence Hall. The talk was held as part of The 2013 Chautauqua Lecture Series, a program that brings Duke professors onto East Campus to discuss their research with students over dinner. The lecture series places a particular emphasis on professors who connect their work to current political, social, scientific, or environmental issues. During her presentation, Nightingale also addressed her own research on elasticity imaging as well as advancements in ultrasound imaging.

“Where we are now is really way, way, way leaps and bounds ahead of where we got started from,” said Nightingale when explaining progress in ultrasound imaging.

Nightingale noted that there has been significant progress made in ultrasound imaging since the 1950s, when the technique was first introduced. Doctors and engineers are now able to see internal structures within the human body in much greater detail and clarity than they ever would have been able to before. New technologies allow ultrasonic imaging to be used on organs which were previously hard to image, including the prostate, as well as for new applications, such as detecting clots in blood vessels.

“All of this [progress] happened because engineers made advances and technology came along so that we could do better and better,” Nightingale said.

Students at the lecture found the even to be both informative and interesting.

“It was actually like a mini TED talk,” said senior Linde Liu. “She got to explain more about her field, more about her research in a way that understandable to someone who really have never known anything about it before.”

Liu also appreciated the way in which the talk allowed students to connect with Duke professors and the research which goes on around campus.

“She can give you a broad overview of what she’s doing and the amazing things that go on at Duke. So that’s something which is really cool too is that this is happening right here on campus,” Liu said. “You can talk to her and visit her lab if you want to.”

Professor Nightingale explained that many of the same reasons why students enjoyed the lecture are the reasons why she enjoyed giving it.

“I love the idea of the Chautauqua series. I like the opportunity to meet with students,” Nightingale said. “It’s fun to tell people what we do and see what kind of questions they have.”

Julius Jones, administrative fellow in the Office of Undergraduate Education and coordinator of the Chautauqua lectures, also highlighted similar points about the goals of the lecture series.

“The chief goal is that students, especially first year students, will have the opportunity to connect and engage with some of our best faculty at Duke,” he said. “Instead of necessarily putting the onus on students to find the professor…the professor will come to them.”

The next Chautauqua lecture will be held Tuesday, October 8th in Southgate Residence Hall. For the full calendar schedule, click here.

Share and discuss “Chautauqua Lecture discusses ultrasound technologies” on social media.