Around the ACC: Week 7

No. 3 Clemson 24, Boston College 14

The Tigers (6-0, 4-0 ACC) averted disaster at home with two touchdowns early in the fourth quarter to hold off the pesky Eagles (3-3, 1-2). Redshirt senior quarterback Tajh Boyd threw for 334 yards to become Clemson's all-time leader in passing yards and added two total touchdowns. However, it wasn't until national sack leader Vic Beasley returned Eagle quarterback Chase Rettig's fumble 13 yards for a touchdown to put the Tigers up 10 with 12:42 left in the game that Clemson established control. Though the Tigers moved the ball efficiently and limited Eagle running back Andre Williams, the nation's leading rusher entering the game, to 70 yards, they were unable to dominate because of turnovers and special teams debacles. Clemson will likely be unable to make such errors and still win next week when no. 6 Florida State travels to Death Valley for an Atlantic Division showdown.

No. 24 Virginia Tech 19, Pittsburgh 9

The Hokies (6-1, 3-0) seem to have found their identity, once again taking care of the football and relying on redshirt senior quarterback Logan Thomas and stifling defense to earn their sixth straight win and third straight in the ACC. Thomas finished with 266 total yards and a passing touchdown, and Virginia Tech kicker Cody Journell added four field goals to give the team all of the offense it needed. The Panthers (3-2, 2-2) only accumulated 210 total yards as a team, with just 23 coming on the ground, and also gave up seven sacks. As a result, powerful wide receivers Devin Street and Tyler Boyd were neutralized and the team suffered its first road loss of the season. Pittsburgh has a non-conference game against Old Dominion next week while Virginia Tech has a bye week before taking on Duke.

Maryland 27, Virginia 26

In what might have been the final game between border rivals, the Terrapins (5-1, 1-1) held on at home as Cavalier kicker Alec Vozenilek missed a 42-yard field goal with 10 seconds left in the game. Backup Maryland quarterback Caleb Rowe started in place of concussed starter C.J. Brown and threw the go-ahead touchdown with 5:14 left in the game; he finished with 332 yards passing in just his second career start. Despite accumulating 505 total yards, forcing three Maryland turnovers and executing four successful field goals during the game, the Cavaliers (2-4, 0-2) were unable to send the Terrapins to the Big 10 with a loss. The devastating loss means that Virginia will almost certainly miss out on a bowl game this season.

Syracuse 24, NC State 10

The Orange (3-3, 1-1) racked up an astounding 362 rushing yards to earn their first conference win of the season on the road. Running backs Jerome Smith and Prince Tyson-Gulley each ran for more than 130 yards and a touchdown to allow Syracuse to win despite only passing for 74 yards and two interceptions. It was a disappointing day for the Wolfpack (3-3, 0-3), whose starting quarterback Brandon Mitchell warmed up, but didn't play, missing his fifth straight game after suffering a broken foot. Backup Pete Thomas only threw for 151 yards and an interception and N.C. State suffered three more injuries to starters during the game, bringing the team's total to seven. The Wolfpack get a chance to regroup next week with a bye week while Syracuse will play at Georgia Tech in a game featuring potent rushing attacks.

BYU 38, Georgia Tech 20

The Cougars (4-2) handed the Yellow Jackets (3-3, 2-2) their third straight loss with a big win at home. Sophomore quarterback Taysom Hill finished with 309 total yards and two touchdowns, and BYU racked up 345 yards in the first half. Despite finishing with 400 total yards, Georgia Tech's inability to defend BYU in the first half and two costly turnovers in the fourth quarter prevented them from closing the gap. Redshirt sophomore quarterback Vad Lee completed just seven of his 20 pass attempts and threw an interception that was returned for a touchdown. The Yellow Jackets will try to end their losing skid against Syracuse next week.

Byes: No. 6 Florida St., No. 13 Miami, Wake Forest, North Carolina

Share and discuss “Around the ACC: Week 7” on social media.