Around the ACC: Week 5

No. 3 Clemson 56, Wake Forest 7

The Tigers (4-0, 2-0 ACC) dominated from start to finish as senior quarterback Tajh Boyd became the second player in ACC history to score 100 career touchdowns. Boyd finished with 380 total yards and four touchdowns in just fewer than three quarters of action while the Demon Deacons (2-3, 0-2) only mustered 222 yards as a team in a hostile environment at Memorial Stadium. Boyd needs just 11 more touchdowns to supplant Philip Rivers as the conference's all-time career leader.

No. 8 Florida St. 48, Boston College 34

The Seminoles (4-0, 2-0) overcame an early 17-3 deficit behind freshman quarterback Jameis Winston to get their second road conference win of the season. Winston threw three second quarter touchdowns, including a 55-yard bomb as time expired, to give his team a 24-17 halftime lead over the Eagles (2-2, 1-1). The Seminoles never trailed after that point, but gave up a total of 397 yards of offense, including 200 on the ground. Winston finished with 397 total yards himself, with four passing touchdowns and an interception.

No. 15 Miami 49, South Florida 21

The Hurricanes (4-0, 0-0) used a fast start to secure their first road win of the season. Quarterback Stephen Morris quarter threw for 222 yards and engineered three early touchdown drives before leaving the game early in the second quarter to rest his injured ankle as a precaution. Miami capitalized on three turnovers to build a 49-7 lead before surrendering two late scores to the Bulls (0-4, 0-0) in the final nonconference game for both teams.

Virginia Tech 17, Georgia Tech 10

The Hokies (4-1, 1-0) won their conference opener on Thursday night, ruining the 100th anniversary of Grant Field at Bobby Todd Stadium celebration for the Yellow Jackets (3-1, 2-1). Redshirt senior quarterback Logan Thomas accounted for 279 total yards and two first half touchdowns despite an abdominal strain, and the Virginia Tech defense forced three turnovers to secure the win. This outcome could be crucial; Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech are the only teams that have ever represented the Coastal Division in the ACC Championship.

East Carolina 55, North Carolina 31

The Pirates (3-1, 1-0) were determined not to blow another opportunity against an ACC opponent, drubbing the Tar Heels (1-3, 0-1) in Chapel Hill two weeks after losing a nail-biter at home to Virginia Tech. East Carolina jumped out to a 14-0 lead and never let North Carolina get closer than 11 from that point on, racking up 603 yards of offense behind quarterback Shane Carden. Carden had six total touchdowns and got plenty of help from running back Vintavious Cooper, who had 256 total yards; it was only East Carolina's third win ever against the Tar Heels.

Pittsburgh 14, Virginia 3

The Panthers (3-1, 2-1) won their third straight game by capitalizing on two first quarter turnovers by the Cavaliers (2-2, 0-1) in a defensive struggle. Neither team eclipsed the 200-yard mark, there were five total turnovers, and each punter was used nine times. The stars were Pittsburgh wide receivers Tyler Boyd and Devin Street, who continued to impress even though quarterback Tom Savage was sacked nine times; Boyd and Street combined for 169 yards receiving while the rest of the Panthers only accumulated 22.

NC State 48, Central Michigan 14

The Wolfpack (3-1, 0-1) used a 28-point second quarter and two non-offensive touchdowns to build a 35-0 halftime lead over the Chippewas (1-4, 0-1). With 244 rushing yards and 239 passing yards, N.C. State's balanced offense took out its frustrations a week after a tough home loss to Clemson. Speedy wide receiver Bryan Underwood had 190 total yards and will look to help get the team its first conference win at Wake Forest next week.

BYES: Maryland, Syracuse

Share and discuss “Around the ACC: Week 5” on social media.