Academic Council gives out University Scholar Teacher Award

The University Scholar Teacher Award was given out at the Academic Council meeting this Thursday.

Edna Andrews, professor of linguistics and cultural anthropology, was formally given the award, which recognizes an individual who has made an exceptional contribution to the institution. All deans make one nomination from each school, and a teacher is chosen by an ad hoc committee.

Andrews is notable for her involvement with the department of Slavic and Eurasian Studies. She currently serves as director of the Focus program and was instrumental in connecting the University to St. Petersburg University in Russia.

"This [award] is meant to slow down and cherish the value of teaching in the fuller sense," Brodhead said.

The Executive Committee of the Academic Council also discussed the search for a new provost for when current Provost Peter Lange retires in June, however
this portion of the meeting was closed to anyone other than faculty members.

Josh Socolar, chair of Academic Council, covered the government approval of Duke Kunshan University during the public portion of the meeting.

In other business:

The candidates for summer term degrees were approved by every University school. Nominations of 12 tenured faculty members to the Faculty Hearing Committee, valid until 2016, were also approved.

Share and discuss “Academic Council gives out University Scholar Teacher Award” on social media.