Maryland football preview

After losing quarterback C.J. Brown for all of 2012 due to a torn ACL, the Terrapins are looking to continue rebuilding their young program in 2013. Brown threw for seven touchdowns and ran for 574 yards and five scores in 2011, playing in ten games but starting only five of those contests.

The Terrapins lost their final six games of the season, and finished 4-8 overall last season after enduring an abundance of injuries and transfers. Including Brown, Maryland saw four quarterbacks go down to season-ending injuries, crippling the offense before the first game of the year.

Stefon Diggs, sophomore wide receiver and kick returner, was one of the most dangerous playmakers last year as a freshman, leading the Terrapins in receptions, receiving yards and touchdown catches. With the loss of running back Wes Brown, who has been suspended for the year, the Terrapins will have to choose between Brandon Ross and Albert Reid for the starting tailback slot.

Of the 16 offensive linemen listed in the depth chart, only three are seniors—guards De’Onte Arnett and G.T. Harraka and tackle Nick Klemm. The inexperience up front is a concerning proposition for head coach Randy Edsall. As of Monday, Klemm was no longer listed as the starting tackle for the squad.

With the return of 6-foot-3 and 310 pound junior lineman Darius Kilgo, the Terrapins’ can start rebuilding the pass rush. Help from Andre Monroe at the defensive end position could also prove to be a solid threat. Redshirt freshmen Roman Braglio and Abner Logan and true freshman Yannick Ngakoue should help Maryland put pressure on the quarterback, allowing the rest of the line to fall nicely into place. With regard to sacks, Maryland is essentially starting from scratch, as the five defenders who logged more than 1.5 sacks last year all graduated.

Although a series of unfortunate injuries plagued the Maryland squad the past two seasons, they have managed to hone the skills of the freshmen, giving depth to their bench and hope for more wins during the season.

Share and discuss “Maryland football preview” on social media.