Guttentag reappointed dean of undergraduate admissions

Dean of Undergraduate Admissions Christoph Guttentag was reappointed for another five-year term, according to a Duke News press release.

The decision was made after a standard review of Guttentag’s performance as dean by a committee of faculty and administration.

"Christoph has provided outstanding and innovative leadership for Duke admissions for well over a decade," Provost Peter Lange said in the release. "This review highlighted the extent to which he has been able to lead his excellent staff through a period of major growth in the number and quality of applications to Duke, very substantially increasing the quality and diversity of our undergraduate student body.”

Guttentag has overseen undergraduate admissions at Duke since 1992 when he was appointed director. In 2006, he was named the dean of undergraduate admissions. 

In his time at Duke, Guttentag has overseen more than 200,000 student applications. 

"The results have been appreciated by our faculty, and by our students and now been fully recognized by the review process,” Lange said. “We are extremely pleased to have Dean Guttentag leading our undergraduate admissions for years to come.

While Guttentag has served Duke, the rate of admissions has dropped to a record low of 12 percent, and the number of students of color in the freshman class has increased to 47 percent.

Share and discuss “Guttentag reappointed dean of undergraduate admissions” on social media.