Six alumni join Board of Trustees

Six alumni joined the Board Monday. 

Three new members will serve six-year terms—Stephen Pagliuca, Trinity ’77, Carmichael Roberts Jr., Trinity ’90 and Edward Gilhuly, Trinity ’82. Additionally, three observing members also joined the Board—Shepard Moyle, Trinity ’84, Christopher Brown, Trinity ’13 and Katherine Duch, a Duke Ph.D. candidate in public policy. David Rubenstein, Trinity ’70, was elected Board chair in May and officially took on the role Monday.

“Duke is fortunate to have such accomplished individuals—all alumni—agree to serve on our Board of Trustees,” President Richard Brodhead said. “They have shown their devotion to the University over many years and in many different ways. I thank them for making this even deeper engagement with the work of the university.” 

As the University's governing body, the Board of Trustees is responsible for the school's educational mission and fiscal policies. There are 37 members on the Board.

“The new trustees continue a tradition on strong Board leadership at Duke,” said Michael Schoenfeld, vice president of public affairs and government relations. “They share a love for Duke and a strong commitment to the University's success. They also bring a range of experiences and perspectives that will be extremely valuable as the Board considers the major issues of the future.” 

Brown and Duch will serve one year on the Board as Young Trustees—non-voting members—and one year as voting members.

Brown was selected as Young Trustee through a student-wide undergraduate election.

He graduated with a degree in economics and a certificate in energy and environment and is currently a business analyst with McKinsey and Co. in Houston.

Brown has already implemented YoungTrustee@Duke.edu, an email address that will send messages to an account that is checked by all of the undergraduate Young Trustees. The account is now accepting messages.

Duch was elected by the Graduate and Professional Student Council. 

She is a University Scholar and a recipient of the James B. Duke fellowship and is interested in education policy and higher education finance.

“My vision for the Young Trustee is to pursue two objectives: to provide a graduate student perspective during Board meetings and to forge a stronger connection between the Young Trustees and the graduate and professional student body,” Duch said

She added that she will establish a precedent of regular communication with graduate and professional students, by convening meetings between Graduate Young Trustees and GPSC representatives on Board committees. Duch also plans to hold office hours for any graduate or professional student to share their thoughts on the University. 

“As observers next year, Chris, Katie and Shepard will contribute the very important perspectives of Duke students and alumni,” said Rick Wagoner, previous chair of the Board of Trustees.

Moyle is owner and CEO of Shindigz, one of the largest Internet providers of party supplies, decorations and favors.

As a sophomore at Duke, he was the student body president.

“I am honored to have the opportunity to serve on the Board of Trustees and continue to give back to the University,” Moyle said. “Duke is an amazing place with world class students, faculty, administrators and alumni. I look forward to this new challenge.”

Moyle received an MBA from the Harvard School of Business in 1986. He has been involved with Duke in a number of capacities as president-elect of the Duke Alumni Association board, as well as a member of the athletics leadership board and the Fuqua School of Business advisory board for innovation and entrepreneurship. 

Wagoner said that Duke will benefit from the services of a very talented and diverse Board of Trustees. He added that the group is united in their passion for Duke and its future.

“Carmichael, Ned, and Steve each bring to the Board excellent experience and background to complement the capabilities of their fellow Trustees,” Wagoner said.

Roberts—who also received a Ph.D. in organic chemistry from Duke in 1995—served on the board of directors of the alumni association from 2007 to 2013. He was a member of its executive committee from 2008 until 2013.

Gilhuly was a member of the California Academy of Sciences Board and the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Team Foundation Board, in addition to 20 other corporate boards. He currently serves on the board of directors of Duke Management Company, which manages the University’s endowment, as well as the Charlotte-based Duke Endowment. 

Pagliuca was a Democratic U.S. Senate candidate and member of the Democratic National Advisory Committee. In 2005, President Clinton awarded him the Bright Star Award in recognition of his charitable activities. He is also president of the Boston Celtics Shamrock Foundation, which partners with local charities to help children gain access to housing, health care and other services.

Share and discuss “Six alumni join Board of Trustees” on social media.