West union renovations still halted

In their meeting Friday, the executive committee of the Board of Trustees did not have an opportunity to advance the West Union renovations, which were halted by the Board in May.

Comprising 12 of the Board’s 36 members, the executive committee—which can exercise all powers of the Board—convenes at points between the Board’s four annual meetings. The impending renovations to West Union were among the topics discussed, although no decisions were made to move forward with the renovations, Michael Schoenfeld, vice president of public affairs and government relations, wrote in an email Sunday.

In a previous interview with The Chronicle, Vice President for Student Affairs Larry Moneta noted that the executive committee had the ability to sign off on various aspects of the renovations in order to allow work to begin on the building before the Board saw the revised plans at its October meeting. This weekend’s meeting, however, did not yield such a result.  

“The executive committee covered a number of routine administrative and personnel matters, reviewed planning for upcoming board meetings and committees, and was updated on major initiatives, like online education, innovation and entrepreneurship and campus construction, including West Union,” Schoenfeld said.  “The architects will be reviewing their new plans with the administration soon so no decisions were made.” 

At the Trustees’ May 14 meeting, they chose not to approve the final plans for the renovations of West Union. The remodel—funded by an $80 million donation from the Charlotte-based Duke Endowment—was originally scheduled to begin this summer, and organizations began to move their offices out of the building in early May. But because the Board did not agree on the designs, construction has been postponed. 

The official summary of actions taken at the executive committee meeting did not include any mention of the West Union renovations.

Current Board Chair Rick Wagoner, Trinity ’75, and incoming chair David Rubenstein, Trinity ’70, deferred comment to Schoenfeld. 

In other business

The executive committee also approved appointments to the DUHS board of directors, the submission of the certificate of need and approval of funding for the Duke North Hospital renovation and a resolution of tribute to Coach John Danowski and the men’s lacrosse team.

President Richard Brodhead and Provost Peter Lange provided the updates at the meeting, Schoenfeld said. 

The committee also received updates on key initiatives, reviewed results of board performance in 2012-2013 and discussed strategic issues related to the health system. 

Share and discuss “West union renovations still halted” on social media.