SPORTS  |  GOLF

Duke women's golf captures NCAA Central Regional with 12-under final round

The Blue Devils won their eighth regional championship in program history, with the last coming in 2007.

Heading into the final day of competition, Duke was six strokes down. When the Blue Devils walked off the golf course, they were six strokes up.

No. 3 Duke shot 12-under-par as a team in Saturday’s final round to capture the NCAA Central Regional at Jimmie Austin OU Golf Club in Norman, Okla. The Blue Devils began the day six shots behind the tournament’s host, No. 4 Oklahoma, but Duke surged past the Sooners on the final day of play to take its eighth regional championship in program history.

“It’s not a comfortable place to be, but it’s doable if you’re six back,” head coach Dan Brooks said. “We had a very positive outlook going into today... I told them that I would bet on us because we have a very talented group but they’re also demonstrating a lot of poise.”

The Blue Devils’ 12-under-par performance in the tournament’s final round was the second-lowest 18-hole total in school history on a par-72 course.

Leading the way for Duke was senior Courtney Ellenbogen, who shot the best round of her career Saturday with a five-under 67. Ellenbogen finished in ninth place individually on the weekend. Following the conclusion of the tournament, Ellenbogen flew back to Durham to attend her graduation Sunday.

“I couldn’t be happier for her as a senior,” Brooks said. “What a great feeling going into graduation to have shot that 67.”

Junior Alejandra Cangrejo also posted a career-best, shooting the lowest three-round score of her career with a five-under 211. Cangrejo tied for second individually and posted three birdies in the final nine holes Saturday to widen the Blue Devils’ lead.

“Her scores were crucially important for our team,” Brooks said. “It seems like she’s grown up five years in the last couple of months. I’m really proud of Alejandra.”

Continuing her string of consistent play was senior Lindy Duncan, who recorded the 20th top-five finish of her career by shooting a four-under 212. 

Laetitia Beck had struggled in her first two rounds, posting scores of 74 and 78 in the first two days of competition. But the junior from Israel rolled in a birdie putt on her first hole of the final round and posted a four-under 68 to help her team’s cause.

“I’m not exactly sure what caused her middle round score to be as high as it was,” Brooks said. “She’s striking the ball very well. I don’t think it’s very serious and if she gets back out on the course she needs to play through that stuff.”

By placing in the top eight of the 24-team tournament, the Blue Devils will advance to compete in the NCAA Championships in Athens, Ga. May 21-24. Duke’s last regional championship came in 2007—a team that went on to capture the national championship as well.

As the Blue Devils return to Durham for a week of practice, Brooks said that they will simply try to stay in rhythm, rather than making any significant adjustments to the team’s approach.

The head coach added that although his team coming off of a win, he believes it still has room left to grow.

“I don’t think we have peaked yet,” Brooks said. “We have about a week to get it together. Alabama was not at this regional and they are really good and Southern Cal is an excellent team. What we did at our regionals might or might not have held up to those teams. So we have to get an edge between now and the NCAA Championships.”

Share and discuss “Duke women's golf captures NCAA Central Regional with 12-under final round” on social media.