Duke basketball Ryan Kelly flashback: 20 points against Wake Forest

Over the next three weeks, The Blue Zone will be counting down the top five performances from each of Duke's graduating seniors during their collegiate careers. This week, we start with forward Ryan Kelly.

Generic Script

No. 5: Kelly scores 20 points against Wake Forest

The date: Jan. 22, 2011

The game: Duke 83, Wake Forest 59

Kelly statline: 20 points on 6-of-6 from the field, including 4-for-4 from 3-point range, 6 rebounds

The breakdown: Just two weeks after star point guard Kyrie Irving went down with a toe injury that would keep him sidelined for the remained of the regular season, Duke desperately needed a player to pick up the scoring load alongside seniors Kyle Singler and Nolan Smith.

It was a lanky and unproven Ryan Kelly who would answer the call during his sophomore season.

Kelly had the first breakout game of his young career, pouring in 20 points—then a career-high—on perfect shooting from the floor in a blowout victory against Wake Forest. Singler said after the contest that Kelly "played an almost perfect game."

In addition to a perfect 6-for-6 shooting from the floor, Kelly demonstrated his range and hit all four of his 3-point attempts and knocked down all four of his free throw attempts.

Kelly's versatility was on display throughout the contest, a sign of things to come during the remainder of his career at Duke. His ability to stretch the floor at the power forward position was one of the keys for the Blue Devils to recover from the loss of Irving.

The Raleigh native's performance was the spark Duke needed on a night where Smith and Singler both struggled from the floor and Mason Plumlee managed just one field goal attempt.

The quote: “I think he’s gotten better every game, and he’s a very reliable player,” head coach Mike Krzyzewski said. “He doesn’t get flustered, he knows where he’s supposed to be all the time and I think he’s become more aggressive and ready to take his shot.”

Share and discuss “Duke basketball Ryan Kelly flashback: 20 points against Wake Forest” on social media.