Continued LDOC policies create safer event

The Devils took down the Florida State Seminoles, previously undefeated in the ACC, Saturday at Indoor Cameron Stadium

This year’s Last Day of Classes festivities tried not to kill anyone’s vibe. 

The LDOC committee maintained changes made last year to the alcohol policy, as well as added safety features, to offer students a diverse, enjoyable and safe celebration to conclude the year. The number of emergency medical calls increased, but there were fewer transports to the hospital, a reversal of 2012 statistics

“Everything went kind of exactly according to plan,” senior Bo Triplett, chair of the LDOC committee, said. 

In collaboration with administrators, the committee focused on creating an event with an atmosphere that aimed to encourage community bonding. 

“We worked really hard in terms of allowing everyone to enjoy the day instead of just getting really drunk, and I think we really set a precedent,” Triplett said. “By providing activities that students really wanted to participate in and having bands that people cared about—it gets people excited for the event rather than just excited to party.”

Many of the changes this year involved fine-tuning adjustments made last year, but these small changes helped make a big difference, Dean of Students Sue Wasiolek said.

Safety measures included water stations, continuing policies restricting the amounts and types of alcohol students could have on the main quad as well as circulating public safety messages.

“[Because] we had already had a year with the rules about six packs, glass bottles, no hard liquor, students were accustomed to those particular expectations and I think those of us who were there to help make LDOC fun and safe, were also much more comfortable and familiar,” Wasiolek said. 

Planning prior to the event involved individuals from the Office of Student Affairs, Duke Student Wellness Center, Duke University Police Department and Housing, Dining and Residence Life along with students on the LDOC Committee.

“LDOC has been seeing a general trend of becoming a much safer event,” junior Jay Srinivasan, director of Duke Emergency Medical Services, said.

EMS received 22 calls this year, compared to last year’s 13, but involved less severe cases, he said. 

There were only two calls regarding trauma, but Srinivisan said he could not discuss the specific injuries or reasons, he added. Eighteen of the calls were alcohol-related.

A few damages occurred to campus facilities but all were minor, Joe Gonzalez, associate dean for HDRL, said. 

“There has been much greater emphasis on a safer event less characterized by alcohol,” Srinivasan said. “The LDOC Committee put a lot of great work into inculcating that sort of dynamic there.”

Junior Alex Lewis said that after three years, she has come to greatly appreciate the daytime programming.

“I realize with all of the concerts on campus, there’s a lot of access to music and for me it’s more about hanging out with everyone before the summer,” Lewis said.

Although she did not care greatly for the performances, senior Ruthie Griffith said she enjoyed her last LDOC in Krzyzewskiville, basking in the sun. 

The programs throughout the day had good turnout and received positive feedback, Triplett noted.

The six bands in the evening concert lineup ranged from “jam bands” to rappers, which helped please a wide variety of people, Triplett said. 

“This year has been by far the best concert based on my four years, I’d say even in the history of LDOC,” Triplett said. 

For some, the daytime events were the highlight of the day. Griffith left the quad with her friends once the music started because it was too loud. Some individuals she spoke to afterward, however, enjoyed the event.

Wasiolek said she was grateful that students had executed a well-planned event, but had one change she’d like to see in the future.

“As someone who is not college-age and has not been college-age for many years, I would like to change up the music a bit,” she said.

Share and discuss “Continued LDOC policies create safer event” on social media.