Remember when Duke romped Florida Gulf Coast?

No. 15 seed Florida Gulf Coast is the Cinderella story of this NCAA Tournament, reaching the Sweet 16 and returning to action tonight against No. 3 seed Florida.

Remember when FGCU—now known as "Dunk City"—came to Cameron Indoor Stadium?

The Eagles actually held an early lead, and some of the FGCU faithful chanted "scoreboard." Then the Blue Devils went on a 30-0 run en route to an 88-67 victory. "Dunk City" had just one dunk all game.

The headline the next day: FLORIDA GULF TOAST. Here is some from the story:

Just a little more than five minutes into the game, Florida Gulf Coast’s surprisingly loud fans made themselves heard by chanting, “scoreboard” during the first media timeout. They probably should have waited a little bit to bring out the classic cheer, because the Cameron Crazies repeatedly responded in kind as Duke (3-0) built and protected a commanding lead.

After allowing the Eagles to put up 30 points in less than 15 minutes, the No. 9 Blue Devils went on a 30-0 run over the last 5:40 of the first half and the first two minutes of the second half, sending them to an 88-67 victory against Florida Gulf Coast. The run was the longest of that magnitude since the team went on a 26-0 run against Clemson in 1999.

“It’s demoralizing for them,” senior Mason Plumlee said of the run. “When you go that long without scoring a basket, guys, whether you want to or not, start pointing fingers and get frustrated. Once they do that, you know you’ve got them."

Here is the photo of the game from the Duke win:

Generic Script

Here are some more photos from the win:

2012/11/18 MBB vs. FGCU - Images by Duke Student Publishing Co. Duke Chronicle

Share and discuss “Remember when Duke romped Florida Gulf Coast?” on social media.