ChronChat: Duke basketball vs. Michigan State in the Sweet 16

Duke basketball beat writers Brady Buck and Andrew Beaton sat down to discuss some of the more intriguing parts of the matchup.

Andrew Beaton: Sweet 16 time. Duke-Michigan State. Mike Krzyzewski-Tom Izzo. Two-seed vs. three-seed. What are your initial thoughts about this game?

Generic Script

Brady Buck: It doesn't get much better than K-Izzo—two of the very best in the game—going head to head in March. It's a very intriguing matchup given the overlap between the programs, especially lately in recruiting with Jabari Parker, Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor. Parker will be a Blue Devil next year, but Jones and Okafor—the top prospects in the class of 2014—are still uncommitted.

I expect this one to be an absolute battle. The Spartans will have a bit of an edge as far as the home court goes with the game in Big 10 country. When you think of Michigan State, the first things that come to mind are physicality and rebounding. The big question is can Duke match Izzo's club in those departments?

AB: There's no doubt Michigan State is physically tough, especially with how well forwards Adreian Payne and Derrick Nix have played lately. They're strong, good rebounders and push people around—something Coach K talked about in his press conference yesterday. This Duke team, though, looked really physical against Creighton, bullying the Bluejays on the inside and on the perimeter.

But the question to me is while the Spartans have that, can they keep up with the Blue Devils' offensively and talent wise?

Gary Harris has been the only guy this year who has been able to consistently hit jump shots for Izzo. If you're an opposing coach, who else are you really afraid of scoring? Keith Appling leads the team in scoring, but he's hitting just 30% of his 3-pointers and 41% of his shots overall...

Duke has so many more offensive weapons that it will be hard for the Spartans to keep up. Whether it's Seth Curry, Mason Plumlee, Ryan Kelly, Rasheed Sulaimon or Quinn Cook... there are so many guys who can go off on a single night for Coach K, and that's not a fear you get when you think of Michigan State.

BB: Agreed. The Spartans don't have the offensive firepower that other elite teams might have, but the Blue Devils haven't exactly been firing on all cylinders offensively as of late either.

Duke needs Ryan Kelly to come back to life offensively. He scored 36 and 18 points, respectively, in his first two games back, but he hasn't tallied double figures since. He's also has not hit a trey (0-for-10) since the Virginia Tech game. He probably isn't 100 percent healthy, but another subpar performance is likely going to lead to Duke's undoing.

I'm excited to watch the Harris-Sulaimon matchup. They are both freshmen that--along with Archie Goodwin and Rodney Purvis--fought all through high school for the title of the best shooting guard in the class of 2012. What better stage to decide who's better than the Sweet 16? Should be fun.

AB: The important thing for both Kelly and Curry is getting a break. Both are dealing with injuries and no doubt appreciate getting a nice break between Sunday and Friday. Curry, who doesn't practice most of the time because of his lingering leg injury, has played much better on extended rest this season.

Kelly, as you said, has struggled immensely in his last few games. But he's too good of a natural shooter to keep on missing. It's not as if he has been forcing bad shots and making bad decisions. He's due, and that's not good for the Spartans.

BB: Krzyzewski has had Tom Izzo's number. Izzo is just 1-6 against Krzyzewski, but they are 1-1 against each other in the NCAA Tournament—Duke beat the Spartans in the 1999 Final Four, while Michigan State beat the Blue Devils in the 2005 Sweet 16.

I'm looking forward to it—two elite coaches, two contrasting styles and identities.

Share and discuss “ChronChat: Duke basketball vs. Michigan State in the Sweet 16” on social media.