Kyrie Irving wins the NBA 3-point crown

Former Duke basketball guard Kyrie Irving is making waves during All Star Weekend 2013.

First, the Cleveland Cavalier sophomore broke ankles and dropped 32 points in the Rising Stars game. Now Irving will play in his first All Star Game wearing the league's 3-point crown.

Irving outdueled Matt Bonner, scoring 23 in the championship round, to win this year's NBA 3-point contest. Irving fell just two points shy of the record of 25 shared by Jason Kopono and Craig Hodges.

Irving was on the Eastern Conference team with Paul George of the Indiana Pacers and Steve Novak of the New York Knicks. Stephen Curry—the Golden State Warrior guard and brother of Duke guard Seth Curry—was on the Western Conference team along with the Toronto Raptors' Bonner and the New Orleans Hornets' Ryan Anderson.

Irving was selected No. 1 overall by the Cavaliers in the 2011 NBA Draft after one season at Duke in which he played only 11 games due to a toe injury. The Blue Devils lost to Arizona in the Sweet 16 in the 2011 NCAA Tournament with Irving.

This season, Irving is averaging 2.0 3-pointers per game this season on a 42.5% clip, ranking 13th in the league. In his one season with the Blue Devils, he hit 46.2% of his shots from deep.

Share and discuss “Kyrie Irving wins the NBA 3-point crown” on social media.