Quirky classes for Spring 2013

With hundreds of available classes, it’s only logical that Duke has to have a few quirky offerings mixed in with the traditional ones. Here’s a look at some of the Spring’s more intriguing course options.

Sociology 374: Pigging Out—The Cultural Politics of Food. How does the food you eat relate to who you are? Taught by Michaeline Chrichlow, associate professor of sociology and African and African American studies, the course investigates the intersection of food with class, race, geography and culture. While the subject matter seems interesting in and of itself, the course gets a definite bonus from what the syllabus describes as “hands-on experiments with food preparation and tasting.”

House Course: Ethics and Harry Potter. Even though it’s been five years since the release of the last Potter book, the Boy Who Lived still holds a special place in many of our hearts. This house course, taught by history professor Thomas Robisheaux, offers a chance to revisit your love of the wizarding world in a more academic manner, studying the moral and ethical intricacies of the series.

Visual and Media Studies 355: American Dreams, American Movies. This course features the compelling combination of thought-provoking lecture material and frequent movie screenings. Studying film as a reflection of the American identity, students get to watch movies ranging from classics like Singin’ in the Rain to modern favorites such as Wall-E.

Share and discuss “Quirky classes for Spring 2013” on social media.