Duke basketball 2012-2013 player preview: Ryan Kelly

In the week leading up to Duke basketball’s first game of the season Friday against Georgia State, The Blue Zone will preview all the expected contributors on this 2012-2013 squad, beginning with the freshman Monday and ending with the seniors Friday.

Ryan Kelly

Generic Script

• Year: Senior
  • Height: 6-foot-11
  • Position: Power forward
  • Last year’s key statistics: 11.8 ppg and 5.4 rpg while shooting 40.8% from behind the arc

Game breakdown: As a face-up four man, Kelly's game has a European flavor to it due to the fact it is predicated on finesse, intelligence and shooting, rather than power and force in the paint. Coming out of high school, the Blue Devil coaching staff knew that as the big man won the McDonald’s All-American 3-point shooting contest. He has carried that accuracy into his Duke career. And now he is one of the unique players in the country, creating matchup problems for opposing defenses. Few players in the country stand 6-foot-11 and shoot it at well as he does from deep—40% from 3-point range last year. Kelly also has very good instincts and is a reliable shooter from the charity stripe, connecting on 80.7% of his attempts last year.

Defensively, the Raleigh product is very savvy, rarely gets in foul trouble and is arguably the best player in the country at drawing offensive charges. What he may lack physically he usually makes up for with his heady play. That being said, his pedestrian athleticism and strength can be problematic when guarding stronger, more agile and more explosive big men.

Role on the team: First and foremost, Kelly—a co-captain of the team with fellow senior Mason Plumlee—needs to be an assertive leader for this fairly young squad. On the court, Kelly’s skill and intangibles will be invaluable to the team, as evidenced by the team’s late-season collapse last year while he was out with a foot injury.

This season, the veteran will be depended upon to score. His ability to stretch defenses by connecting from 3-point range will enable the Blue Devils to space the floor adequately, giving Mason Plumlee more space to operate in the post and also creating driving lanes for guys like Rasheed Sulaimon and Alex Murphy. Additionally, his long-range shooting prowess makes him dangerous in pick-and-pop plays, which will be utilized frequently this year.

That being said, Kelly needs to rebound at a higher level in his senior campaign, especially with redshirt freshman center Marshall Plumlee out with a foot injury. Overall, the ACC’s guard play is down as a whole this year, while the frontcourts around the league are more talented. Kelly will need to rise to the occasion against high-quality opposing big men like CJ Leslie of N.C. State, James Michael McAdoo of North Carolina and Alex Len of Maryland.

Player comparison: Dirk Nowitzki is player that Kelly is frequently compared to and for good reason. Kelly’s shooting release is much lower and flatter than Nowitki’s, but both shoot the ball exceptionally well for their size. Neither overwhelms their defenders with their athleticism or quickness, yet they still are tremendously effective and difficult to guard. The two's limitations on the defensive end are also apparent. The similarities between the two's games and physiques have even prompted many Duke fans to refer to Kelly as “DirKelly.”

Projected statline: 13.0 ppg and 7.0 rpg

Who we’ve already previewed: Amile JeffersonRasheed SulaimonAlex MurphyMarshall Plumlee,Quinn CookTyler Thornton, Josh HairstonSeth Curry and Mason Plumlee.

Share and discuss “Duke basketball 2012-2013 player preview: Ryan Kelly” on social media.