Week 8: Around the ACC

The ACC is buzzing about Duke’s historic victory over North Carolina Saturday, but there were other great games in the Atlantic Coast Conference this week, including close games in Virginia and Maryland.

In case you missed any of the action, here is what you need to know:

Virginia Tech 17, Clemson 38

Logan Thomas and the Hokie offense managed to keep things close in the first half, heading to the locker room trailing 17-10. In the second half, the Tigers outscored Virginia Tech 21-7 to put the game away. Thomas recorded 207 yards through the air and 99 on the ground, scoring two touchdowns, but threw two interceptions to Jonathan Meeks, one of which was brought back 74-yards for a score. Clemson quarterback Tajh Boyd twice rushed for touchdowns from one yard out.

Wake Forest 16, Virginia 10

Wake Forest completed a 17-second drive resulting in a field goal to end the second quarter ahead of Virginia 10-7. The only scores the rest of the way were field goals, two for the Demon Deacons, one for the Cavaliers. Wake Forest managed just 213 yards of total offense compared to 301 for Virginia, but forced three turnovers without giving one up.

Boston College 17, Georgia Tech 37

The Yellow Jackets jumped all over Boston College early, going ahead 28-3 by the end of the first half. Georgia Tech attempted just 15 passes, completing six, but rushed for 391 yards with four different rushers topping 50. The Yellow Jackets managed 37 points despite missing three field goals and an extra point. Eagles’ receiver Alex Amidon went over 100-yards receiving for the fourth time this season, racking up 118 yards and a score. Boston College turned the ball over twice—one interception and one lost fumble.

North Carolina State 20, Maryland 18

With 34 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter, Wolfpack kicker Niklas Sade drilled a 43-yard field goal to put N.C. State up, 20-18. A mere 32 seconds later, Maryland kicker Brad Craddock missed a kick of his own, a 33-yard attempt that would have won the game. The Wolfpack leaned heavily upon the passing game, which racked up 307 yards, while the rushing game netted just 40 yards. The Terrapins’ offensive attack was spearheaded by freshman running back Wes Brown, who rushed for 121 yards and a touchdown. Backup quarterback Devin Burns was forced into duty after starter Perry Hills was forced from the game.

Florida State 33, Miami 20

Miami got on the board early, going up 10-0 in the first quarter after a Jake Wieclaw field goal. The Seminoles answered back by going on a 33-3 scoring run spanning from one minute remaining in the first quarter to 47 seconds left in the game. Florida State racked up 218 rushing yards despite losing senior running back Chris Thompson to a left knee injury. The Hurricanes were benefited by 121 Seminole penalty yards on 12 infractions, but still scored just two touchdowns.

Share and discuss “Week 8: Around the ACC” on social media.