Protect yourself... with an iPhone

Pepper spray is a thing of the past—you can now use your iPhone case to deter potential attackers and to let help know where you are.

Generic Script

The Coyote Case utilizes a more than 100-decibel siren to ward off creeps and a Bluetooth-enabled security app that sends an automated text message to certain contacts, including the user’s current GPS location. To send out the emergency signal, a user simply pushes a button on the side of the case.

Generic Script

“We know that safety is a concern on any college campus, especially for women when walking late at night or jogging alone,” brand director Caren Henry wrote in an email Tuesday. “A concerned family man and parent of two daughters, Jonathan Page, created Coyote Case to help protect and empower others as his niece was nearly attacked last year.”

According to the Coyote Case website, one in four women experience rape or assault during college.

Although the case sends out the signal at the touch of a button, it will not go off if somebody drops his or her phone or accidentally bumps it. One has to apply direct pressure to the buttons in order to make it work.  The case also has the option to respond only when both buttons on it are pressed.

Students can preorder the case for $60 on the Coyote Case website.  Since it is still under development, the case is currently only offered for iPhone 4, 4s and 5. Henry noted that the company may also develop Android cases in the future.

Share and discuss “Protect yourself... with an iPhone” on social media.