Duke vs. Virginia: Quarter-by-quarter summary:

Fourth Quarter (Duke 42, Virginia 17): Just three plays into the quarter, Boone hit Vernon for a 45-yard touchdown. Trailing by 18, Virginia was forced to attempt a fourth down conversion on the ensuing drive. After Cockrell picked off Sims' desperation heave at the 10 yard line, Duke began the process of running out the clock. Juwan Thompson tacked on the exclamation point with a 34-yard touchdown run that provided the final margin of victory.

Third Quarter (Duke 28, Virginia 17): Duke's offense showed life to open the quarter, allowing Will Monday to pin Virginia back at its own 7 with an excellent punt. The Cavaliers went three-and-out and Vernon was able to return a punt into the red zone for the Blue Devils. On the first play of that drive, Boone found Juwan Thompson for a 12-yard touchdown pass, his third touchdown pass of the day. On the next drive, Virginia attempted to pick up a fourth down, but senior safety Walt Canty made a huge tackle for loss. Four plays and 45 yards later, Jela Duncan put Duke up by double digits. After the teams exchanged punts, Virginia mounted a long drive but missed a 45-yard kick.

Second Quarter (Virginia 17, Duke 14): Both teams' offenses immediately went cold to start the second quarter. Duke failed to convert on third down to start the period, and Virginia was forced to make its first punt of the day after the Blue Devil defense shut them down around midfield. On the ensuing possession, Duke went on its first extended drive of the day. Although the Blue Devils were forced to punt, they chewed up more than three minutes of game time—more than matching its possession the entire first quarter. The teams continued to exchange punts, with nine straight possessions ending in punts. With the quarter almost over, though, Duke's defense gave up several huge plays which allowed Virginia to take a 17-14 lead on a 39-yard field goal as the half ended. The drive was 62 yards and took just 26 seconds.

First Quarter (Duke 14, Virginia 14): Senior quarterback Sean Renfree was unable to go, but Duke's offense did not miss a beat. Duke did not even face a third down on either of its first two drives, scoring on two long touchdown passes. The defense, however, has not handled its situation nearly as well, giving up two long touchdown drives to the Virginia offense. The Cavaliers held the ball for just over 12 minutes in the quarter, picking up steady gains on the ground and through the air. Given that the defense has been decimated by injury, they are at much greater risk of getting fatigued. The quarter was also notable because senior receiver Conner Vernon caught two passes—including a 37-yard touchdown, giving him all time ACC record for career receptions.

Share and discuss “Duke vs. Virginia: Quarter-by-quarter summary:” on social media.