Duke health system unveils nurse leadership program

The Duke University Schools of Medicine and Nursing are launching a leadership training program for nurses across the country in collaboration with pharmaceutical and consumer health company Johnson & Johnson.

Known as Duke-Johnson & Johnson Nurse Leadership Program, the purpose of the joint program is to develop leadership and management skills that can be applicable in small clinical environments. Applications for the inaugural class will become available early December, and the classes are set to begin May 2013. Nurses enrolled in the one-year program will learn from University faculty and industry leaders to develop effective leadership skills in varied health care settings.

“We are excited to introduce a new training program that will strengthen primary care services in community settings, and are grateful to Johnson & Johnson for their support of nursing leadership,” said Anh Tran, director of the Duke-Johnson & Johnson Nurse Leadership Program, in a press release.

Duke is the only institution in the country chosen by Johnson & Johnson to start the joint program. The program, which will be funded through a grant, will also provide participants with access to Johnson & Johnson’s resources and expertise.

The curriculum of the program will focus on four core subjects—effective leadership, communication and relationship building, business acumen and health care environment, according to the program website.

“Nurses have made tremendous strides gaining leadership roles in hospital and business settings, and Johnson & Johnson wants to help foster similar opportunities in nurse-led clinics and practices in the community,” said Sharon D’Agostino, vice president of corporate citizenship at Johnson & Johnson in the press release. “Duke has a history of excellence in clinical leadership training for nurses, especially those practicing in community settings. We are pleased to be working together to provide nurses transformational leadership development.”

Applicants to the program must have post-graduate education in nursing, be currently leading a nurse-managed practice and have two or more years of experience in a community-based practice. The program will cost $1,035, which covers housing, food, study supplies and other training costs.

Applications for the initial class of 20 nurses will be available early December. The first program year will begin May 2013.

Share and discuss “Duke health system unveils nurse leadership program” on social media.