Hispanic caucus calls for voter education, delegate says

Washington state delegate Antonia Gonzalez debreifed reporters about the hispanic caucus that took place at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte Monday.

Although flustered by the stifling humidity, Washington state delegate, Antonia Gonzalez, did not hesitate to debrief the highly anticipated hispanic caucus Monday.

Delegates who attended the caucus spent a majority of the conversation strategizing approaches in battleground states such as Nevada, Colorado and particularly Florida. These states present opportunities to make key gains in the hispanic voter block, a demographic that many experts identify as a critical to winning the presidential seat.

Gonzalez reiterated the importance of the main pillars of the Democratic Party platform—women’s rights, health care, gay rights and immigration reform.

“When I’m doorbelling, I tell people to vote for the issues, not the candidate,” said Gonzalez who volunteers in the east part of her home state which she identifies as typically Republican.

San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro, who is tonight’s keynote speaker, also spoke at a lunchtime event Gozalez attended earlier today. Gonzalez said she hopes that tonight Castro can rally the crowd and viewers around Obama and the Democratic Party.

“It’s just crucial that people go out and vote,” she said.

Castro will deliver his address this evening at around 10 p.m.

Share and discuss “Hispanic caucus calls for voter education, delegate says” on social media.