SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Duke women's soccer to play Virginia Sunday

After moving to 2-1-1 in ACC play against Clemson Thursday, the Blue Devils face a tough test against No. 3 Virginia Sunday.

The No. 3 Virginia Cavaliers might have a long weekend ahead of them. In a tough, physical game against No. 10 Maryland Thursday night, the Cavaliers were stunned by two late goals just minutes apart—and now they face No. 5 Duke (8-2-1, 2-2-1 in ACC) Sunday at 2 p.m.

The Blue Devils will take a trip to Charlottesville, eager to assert their place atop the ACC. Coming off a decisive 3-0 win over Clemson, Duke’s offense has continued to churn out goals. Junior Laura Weinberg scored twice Thursday for a total of 11 goals on the season—a personal best. As a team, the Blue Devils entered Thursday averaging 3.40 goals per game, the third most in Division I.

Unfortunately, sophomore Kelly Cobb may have to sit out Sunday. Fresh off her 2012 debut last Thursday, the Chugiak, Alaska native was injured late in the first half against Clemson. Although the injury is reportedly minor, her return to action is not guaranteed. Freshman Kelly McCann also injured her knee Thursday.

Although the Blue Devils have proved themselves in Cobb’s absence, the Cavaliers will not go down easily, having dropped just two games this season. Prior to last night, the team had allowed just four goals in 10 games while registering six shutouts. The Cavaliers also return 10 starters from last year’s squad and welcome talented freshman Mackenzie Doniak, who already has seven goals on the season.

Fighting for the top spot in the ACC, Duke and Virginia will be a key matchup. Head coach Robbie Church expressed excitement for the upcoming game.

“It’s always big with Virginia, we have great games with them,” Church said. “We’ve also had some close games against top-five, top-ten teams. We’ve been on the short end of a couple of those. I look forward to coming off this victory and go into Charlottesville, which is really a tough place to play.”

Share and discuss “Duke women's soccer to play Virginia Sunday” on social media.