Soundoff: Night at the Nasher

Donning their glitziest evening wear, members of the Class of 2016 attended an elegant party at the Nasher Museum of Art, surrounded by tiny desserts and the museum’s renowned collection. The Chronicle’s Ezgi Ustundag spoke with freshmen and museum staff about art, dancing and kicking back with new friends after Orientation Week.

“Student parties are always challenging because we’re opening the museum to large crowds and protecting the artwork, and at the same time we have to make sure the students can interact with the artwork. It’s really the only time of the year we have to bring the whole staff to keep watch and monitor things. It’s great to see the student body enjoying the work and seeing all of the galleries. The rest of it, I have to be a lot younger to enjoy. Like the music.” –Nasher preparator Alan Dippy

“This shindig is the bomb. The genre of music was surprising to me, but the atmosphere was classy.” –freshman Telisse Portis

“It’s really hard to find people that you know because it’s so crowded.”—freshman Zelie Lewis

“The snickerdoodle cookies were amazing, but I still love the Marketplace’s pizza the most.” –freshman Walt Moczygemba

“I’m enjoying this activity and it’s a great atmosphere to socialize. I’d like more people to participate in the dance.” —freshman Xizheng Wan

“The space itself is really airy. There’s kind of a sense of openness about it, so you can mingle with people and still enjoy the artwork.” –freshman Andrew Katsohirakis

“Some of the artwork is kind of weird.”—freshman James Brock

“Seeing everyone dressed up, the DJ and talking to everyone we’ve met this week were the best parts of [Night at the Nasher.]”—freshman Julia Bellantoni

“The atmosphere is really fun. The music seems kind of out of place at first, but it’s really interesting to walk around while talking to people about art and having a good time.” –freshman Lauren Haley

“I got a chance to see some of the exhibits and they look very interesting. I’ll be back.” –freshman Kaustav Shah

“The event should have been more organized.” –freshman Clive Mudanda

“It really makes me understand how many people are here because this place is so packed. I’ve never been in such a large group before and it made me a little overwhelmed at first, but it’s kind of nice to have such a large group of people who have one thing common. They go to Duke, and they’re really excited about that.”—freshman Hanyu Iu

“It’s very different. I’m a little confused. It’s like a fancy art exhibit and high school dance fusion.” –freshman May Wilson

“It’s exciting to see everyone right here together. This is one of the first times we’ve gotten to go out as a class. It’s a totally unique experience to be in a museum. It almost feels out of place with the music, but it’s really cool.” –freshman Kelsey Hopkins

“I’ll be back when it’s a little quieter. This atmosphere is OK for an orientation week event because we’re all walking around and getting to know each other, and it’s a really welcoming atmosphere, but to appreciate the art, we need a calmer environment.” –freshman Wanyi Ng

“It’s a fun night for people to come. They get a chance to look at the art, they get a chance to have fun after a stressful week right before they go into another stressful week. It’s fun for them.” –Dr. Marianne Eileen Wardle, Andrew W. Mellon academic program coordinator at the Nasher Museum of Art

Share and discuss “Soundoff: Night at the Nasher” on social media.