O-week social scene a mixed bag: Duke EMS calls down, off-campus incidents persist

Two students were arrested and 15 were given citations for underage alcohol consumption  at a house on the corner of Markham Avenue and Gregson Street during a party held by Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity Saturday night.
Two students were arrested and 15 were given citations for underage alcohol consumption at a house on the corner of Markham Avenue and Gregson Street during a party held by Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity Saturday night.

Overall calls to Duke Emergency Medical Services are down compared to last year’s Orientation Week, but a police bust at an off-campus party held by Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity resulted in 15 underage alchohol consumption citations and two arrests Friday.

There were 24 EMS calls placed during the 2011 Orientation Week and 13 placed this year, said Sasha McEwan, director of Duke Emergency Medical Services.

The number of EMS transports decreased from 11 to four, said Deb LoBiondo, assistant dean for Housing, Dining and Residence Life on West Campus.

“My anecdotal observation is that incident rates are lower than last year,” LoBiondo said of on-campus incidents, noting that section parties are not allowed for the first two weeks of the academic year. “[The number of off-campus incidents] seems like it’s similar—maybe a little lower.”

Fifteen students received citations for underage consumption at a party at 910 Gregson Street Friday night, said John Dailey, chief of the Duke University Police Department. Two students were arrested—one for contributing to the delinquency of a minor and one for possession of an open container of alcohol and littering. They were given $1,000 bond and $500 bond, respectively.

The incident stemmed from the fact that the party was an open event, said junior Jack Davis, president of Pi Kappa Alpha, in a statement to The Chronicle. Changes to risk management procedures will help ensure that similar incidents do not occur again.

A noise ordinance in Durham dictates that excessive noise between the hours of 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. is not allowed, said the Durham Police Department watch commander.

Share and discuss “O-week social scene a mixed bag: Duke EMS calls down, off-campus incidents persist” on social media.