Women's sports roundup: Lax national team, Golden Ball, Boutier wins

Although no sports are in season at Duke right now, a number of notable Blue Devil female athletes have been having notable summers.

Here's the rundown:

• Two former Duke women's lacrosse players, Sarah Bullard and Megan Huether, have been selected to the 36-person roster for the 2012-2014 women's national lacrosse team. Bullard, a midfielder, graduated in 2011. Huether, who graduated in 2006, tends the goal and will be competing with four other women for time between the pipes. Both Bullard and Huether were previously selected to the pool of 36 players in 2009. The final squad will aim to defend its national gold medal at theĀ 2013 Federation of International Lacrosse World Cup in Oshawa, Ontario.
  • Incoming freshman soccer player Cassie Pecht scored three goals to lead the FC Pennsylvania Strikers to the U.S. Youth Soccer U-18 National Championship on Sunday. With that strong performance, she was awarded the Golden Ball Award, given to, "the players in each division who have the greatest competitive impact at the U.S. Youth Soccer National Championships," according to Soccer America. Notable past winners include Freddy Adu and Lindsay Tarpley.
  • Another incoming freshman, golfer Celine Boutier, registered a victory at the European Ladies Amateur. On the par-71 course, Boutier shot 68, 66, 66 and 68 in the four-day tournament to finish 16-under par. The France native finished six shots ahead of her nearest competitor. Fellow Blue Devil Laetitia Beck also competed but did not make the cut after the third round.

Share and discuss “Women's sports roundup: Lax national team, Golden Ball, Boutier wins” on social media.