Holliday in critical condition after accident

Duke football player Blair Holliday suffered head injuries while jet skiing yesterday and is now in critical condition, according to a release from the team.

Head coach David Cutcliffe tweeted at 3:57 p.m. that Holliday is in "critical but stable" condition.

The accident occurred on Lake Tillery in North Carolina after which he was flown to the UNC Trauma Center in Chapel Hill, according to a statement released by the Duke sports information department at 1:54 p.m.

The incident occurred in an accident with fellow sophomore wide receiver Jamison Crowder, The Chronicle has confirmed.

Earlier in the day, a former high school teammate of Holliday's tweeted that Holliday is in a coma.

At 11:04 a.m., Iowa State wide receiver Brett Medders, who attended the Oaks Christian School in California with Holliday, tweeted, "ay yall pray for my high school teamate Blair Holliday. Collided with another jet ski on a lake and is in a coma. please RT and PRAY."

In the statement released by the team, Cutcliffe said:

"First and foremost, our thoughts and prayers are with Blair, his parents, Leslie and Rick, and the entire Holliday family.  The Holliday family is one of tremendous character and strength, and is truly an inspiration for all of us.  Secondly, we could not be more appreciative of the care and support Blair has received here at UNC Hospitals. The doctors, nurses and support staff have been truly outstanding."

"We ask that you continue to keep Blair and his family in your thoughts, and also respect their privacy in this time of concern."

Holliday, a sophomore wide receiver, was slated to start in 2012. As a freshman he played in 10 games and caught three passes for a total of 30 yards.

This story will be updated as it progresses.

Follow @chroniclesports and @andrewlbeaton

Share and discuss “Holliday in critical condition after accident” on social media.