Blue Devil schedules at the London Olympics

Duke will have a strong presence at the upcoming London Olympics. The games will have Blue Devils representing five different countries in four different sports, and of course, Duke basketball head coach Mike Krzyzewski at the helm of the United States Men's Basketball Team.

There will be two former Duke basketball players in London. The first is NBA All-Star and Chicago Bull Luol Deng, playing for the hosting Great Britain team. In his freshman, and only, year at Duke, Deng scored 15.1 points per game, grabbed 6.9 rebounds, and added 1.1 blocks and 1.3 steals per game. The other Blue Devil is Lithuanian guard Martynas Pocius. Pocius played four seasons at Duke, but missed most of his junior season after a left ankle injury. All the basketball games will be broadcasted live by the NBC family of networks.

The USA diving team features two Duke divers. Abby Johnston, who will be competing in the three meter synchronized diving event, and Nick McCrory, competing in the 10 meter synchronized diving, and 10 meter platform diving events. The diving events will be televised on a delay. Johnston's dive will air on July 29 from 7:00 p.m.-12:00 a.m., McCrory's dives will be televised July 30, August 10, and August 11 between 8:00 p.m. and 12:00 a.m.

Women's soccer will feature former Blue Devil Rebecca Smith, who will be competing in her second Olympics for New Zealand, after competing in the 2008 games in China. The defender was the captain of the 2011 New Zealand World Cup team. Smith and New Zealand will play the preliminary rounds on July 28 and July 31 in an attempt to qualify for the Olympic Quarterfinals.

Finally, track and field will feature two more Duke alumni. Jillian Schwartz will be competing for Israel and Shannon Rowbury will compete for the United States. Schwartz will be competing in the pole vault qualifiers August 4, and, if she qualifies, the finals August 6. The events will be aired from 11:15-11:45 a.m. and 4:30-5:00 p.m., respectively on NBC. Rowbury is participating in the 1500 meter race. The quarterfinals are August 6 from 10:00-10:30 a.m. and 4:30-5:00 p.m., the semifinals will be August 8 from 4:30-5:00 p.m. or 8:00-11:00 p.m., and the finals will take place August 10, from 8:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m.

Share and discuss “Blue Devil schedules at the London Olympics” on social media.