McNally resigns as baseball coach

After seven years and a sub-.500 record, head coach Sean McNally resigned Wednesday.

Director of athletics Kevin White announced the resignation of baseball head coach Sean McNally today, according to a press release from Duke Athletics.

The head coach since 2006, McNally had an overall record of 192-198-1, with the Blue Devils struggling mightily in ACC play, recording a 63-145-1 mark for a winning percentage of just .301. Duke finished 9-21 in the conference this year, good for last place. The team failed to make the ACC tournament in six of his seven years at the helm.

“I would like to thank Duke University and Duke Athletics for the amazing opportunity to have served as the head baseball coach at my alma mater for the last seven years,” McNally said according to the release. “The effort to become a consistent winning baseball program in Atlantic Coast Conference play has been exhausting, and the results have been disappointing. I am looking forward to spending more time with my family and seeking out a new professional challenge going forward.”

Under McNally, 13 players were selected in the MLB Draft with a 14th very likely in next week’s upcoming draft. Junior right-hander Marcus Stroman is expected to be a first-round selection, the first in program history.

Stroman was among the NCAA leaders with a 2.39 ERA and 136 strikeouts in 98.0 innings pitched this season.

Share and discuss “McNally resigns as baseball coach” on social media.