SPORTS  |  ROWING

Varsity eight wins San Diego Crew

The Blue Devils’ top boat rode a wave of momentum Sunday to capture the their first race win since November.

After winning the qualifier Saturday to advance to the finals, the varsity eight boat beat out second-place Oregon State to take the Women’s Collegiate Varsity Eight title in the 39th San Diego Crew Classic. The event, held on Mission Bay each spring, is considered one of the premier rowing regattas in the country and draws close to 100 teams and 3,600 athletes.

“The women executed very well in the rough water conditions,” head coach Robyn Hormer said. “The final sprint with 300m to go was aggressive and decisive.”

Duke had boats in three of the regatta’s events. In addition to the women’s varsity eight, the team had a boat in the second varsity and varsity four races. Only the Blue Devils’ top boat made it to Sunday though, as the varsity four squad placed fifth and the second varsity finished sixth in their respective qualifying heats Saturday.

Seven teams competed in each of the three qualifying races, but only the top two teams from each heat advanced to the finals. The remaining teams competed in one of two consolation races later that day based on their finishes. In their consolation races, the second varsity and varsity four boats finished fifth and third, respectively.

Duke’s varsity eight boat sailed through their qualifier, completing it in 6:48.945 and beating out the next fastest boat in the heat by six seconds. The boat, powered by seniors Rory Erickson-Kulas and Kathy Smithwick; juniors Katie Burke, Laura Sciarrino and Emily Theys; sophomores Grace Cassidy and coxswain Caroline Kiritsy and freshmen Tara Dalton and Claire Vannelli, won the finals Sunday in 7:08.47 to capture the Seaworld Cal Cup. The Blue Devils finished less than two seconds ahead of the Beavers, who crossed the finish line in 7:10.01. The Oklahoma Sooners finished with a time of 7:15.86 to round out the top three.

“We elevated the stroke rate with 500 meters to go,” Kathy Smithwick said. “Even though they were pressing, we knew they weren’t going to take it from us.”

The varsity eight victory represented Duke’s first since the varsity four boat won at the Head of the Hooch Regatta last year.

Share and discuss “Varsity eight wins San Diego Crew” on social media.