T. Watkins dismissed from football

Red-shirt sophomore Tyree Watkins was dismissed from the Duke football team Wednesday, following his arrest for allegedly assaulting a female earlier this week.

Watkins was dismissed for conduct unbecoming of the football program, football head coach David Cutcliffe said in a statement Wednesday.

Vice President for Student Affairs Larry Moneta and Dean of Students Sue Wasiolek declined to comment on the status of Watkins’ enrollment.

Watkins was arrested on a misdemeanor charge of assault on a female Monday, Kammie Michael, Durham Police Department public information officer, wrote in an email Wednesday.

A warrant for Watkins’ arrest was issued Sunday by DPD Officer Nicole Hawkins, according the Durham County Clerk of Court.

After being notified of the warrant, members of Duke University Police Department arrested Watkins at his on-campus apartment at approximately 11 a.m. Monday, Duke Police Chief John Dailey said.

“We assisted him in turning himself in,” Dailey said. “It was a coordinated arrest.”

Watkins was taken to Durham County Jail at 11:14 a.m. Monday and held until 12:41 p.m. when he posted a $500 bond, county jail officials said.

The incident in question was reported at 3:29 a.m. Sunday at a bar on the 800 block of West Morgan Street, according to the DPD incident report. The assault was described as a physical, non-aggravated simple assault.

The alleged victim is Durham resident Ariel Daye, who sustained minor injuries and was not taken to the hospital, according to the clerk’s office.

Watkins played as a reserve wide receiver in 28 games during the past three seasons. He had a Blue team-high of five receptions for 78 yards in last weekend’s Spring Game. Once the 64th-best wide receiver in his recruiting class, the Camden, N.J. native missed almost all of the 2009 season with a knee injury and has 152 career receiving yards on 24 catches.

Share and discuss “T. Watkins dismissed from football” on social media.