Response to article ‘Exhibit depicts refugees’ concerns’

I participated in the Refugee Panel discussion held on March 21, 2012 and the next day The Chronicle published an article entitled “Exhibit depicts refugees’ concerns,” where I was paraphrased in the reporter’s own language: “After his parents left Tibet to settle in India, Norbu said he and other refugees were perceived as a threat or drain to the Indian economy and looked down upon by others. Tibetan refugees often live in fear of persecution or deportation.”

The reporter has failed to capture the essence of my talk. I am concerned that the way the reporter paraphrased my words is out of the context and reflects negatively on India.

What I really said was that refugees are seen as a drain to the economy, but this is not the case and I gave an example of how Tibetans have positively contributed to the Indian economy. I also gave an example of how Kenyan government receives foreign money to take care of Somalia refugees, which I said is an injection to the economy.

I repeatedly said in the talk that I am very thankful to the Indian government as they have allowed us to have a vibrant Tibetan community, Tibetan government in exile and Tibetan refugee schools in India. Every year about 2000 to 3000 Tibetans from Tibet cross the Himalayan mountains during winter time when there are fewer border guards but heavy snow to live in freedom in exile, get proper education and see the leader His Holiness the Dalai Lama. This reality shows that there are challenges in Tibet. To address refugees challenges, we need to provide short-term, medium-term and long-term solutions, and also need to address the root cause of challenges; in the context of Tibet, Tibet-China conflict needs to be resolved.

I would appreciate if you would publish this letter to remedy mistakes in the article entitled “Exhibit depicts refugees’ concerns,” which was published on March 22, 2012.

Best regards,

Thupten Norbu

Share and discuss “Response to article ‘Exhibit depicts refugees’ concerns’” on social media.