In support of Edens staff

It is unfortunate that the grievances brought against Linda Schlabach to Duke University have taken so long to come to light, since Ms. Schlabach’s gross unprofessionalism and lack of respect extend far beyond her staff. As members of Delta Tau Delta, and residents of Edens Quad, we were treated with the same disrespect and malice that serves as the basis of the formal complaint by her staff. Ms. Schlabach’s use of verbal threats, habit of calling the police on students, excessive use of fines and penchant for removing personal property from section spaces were common place. Highlighting the outrageousness of her demands was a threat to fine us for a birthday cake left in a common room, which she had deemed a “fire hazard.” While these experiences may seem petty in light of the gross misconduct alleged by the Edens staff, we believe it further supports and adds to the picture of Ms. Schlabach painted by the housekeepers as staff member who fails to represent even the most elementary standards Duke University has established for its employees.

Ms. Schlabach’s tyrannical abuse of her staff and students should not be confused with professionalism in any sense of the word, as has been the mistake of many HDRL staff with whom we have shared our frustration. We can’t help but wonder how many times Ms. Schlabach’s misconduct went unreported or was ignored by supervisors, as housekeepers took to recounting their maltreatment to students of Edens Quad on multiple occasions. I think many of us would agree that the housekeepers at Duke University are some of the kindest and most generous individuals on campus. As students and alumni we should stand behind the Edens staff and encourage the University to take the accusations leveled at Ms. Schlabach seriously as we all have a responsibility to provide both students and staff with a campus and working environment that is safe, respectful and beneficial for everyone.

Sincerely,

Jay McCarthy, Pratt ’13

president, Delta Tau Delta Fraternity

Share and discuss “In support of Edens staff” on social media.