Special thanks for the Heroes and Villains Library Party

The Heroes and Villains Library Party on Friday, Feb. 24, was a truly superhuman undertaking—a good time for the entire Duke community, weaving the Libraries’ rich comic book collection into an evening of fun and sophisticated entertainment for all.

Such an event is not the work of actual superheroes, but the result of careful planning and hard work by many mere mortals. I would like to highlight the incredible efforts of the Duke Marketing Club in particular. My deepest thanks to the party planning committee, Taylor Anne Potter, Marianne Schroer, Rosa Toledo, Christine Devenny, Chloe Marie Songer, Derek Mong, Janice Hu and their generous and tireless faculty advisor, George Grody. Thanks also go to the many Marketing Club members who volunteered their time to assist with logistics, marketing, decorations, fundraising and other activities, including Catey Appel, Dustin Ashley, Nick Balkissoon, Blair Ballard, Bethany Becker, Chris Carroll, Giulia Caterini, Anouska D’Abo, Monica DeMairo, Lauren Gonzalez, Amanda Hatfield, Caroline Herrmann, Aki Ishikawa, Erica Kim, Joyce Lau, Alexa Levy, Elyse McAvoy, Ann Niou, Frederick Olaleye, Michelle Rivero, Rebecca Rubin, David Shou, John Sokolowski, Grace Summers, Stephanie Tsimis, Matthew Tyler, Ariel Wainer and Angie Yu. Our pre-party seminar speakers—Gerry Canavan, Bill Fick, Will Hansen and Edwin Murray—enlightened us all with their insights on the history of comics, comic book collecting and the artistry of comics.

Numerous library staff also contributed time, ideas and effort to the party. Thanks go especially to Aaron Welborn, Will Hansen, Mark Zupan, Meg Brown, Charles Beck, Ann Elsner, Lynell Wiggins, Alex Marsh, Catherine Shreve, Bobbi Earp, Amy Campbell and Tom Hadzor. Erin Nettifee and the staff of the Link were also supportive and helpful collaborators. I would also like to recognize Doug Martelon and his staff in Theater Operations for transforming the library into a Gotham City wonderland, and Chrissy Beck and her staff at The Chronicle for helping us provide a party program.

And very special thanks to Kathi Turbeville and the Duke housekeeping staff, who stayed until close to 4 a.m. to restore Perkins and Bostock to their normal state. Their efforts are especially appreciated.

Finally, our sponsors are the true superheroes of the night. Sincere thanks go to the Office of the President, Office of the Provost, Duke University Union, Student Organization Finance Committee, Duke Annual Fund and the Sociology Department.

The Duke University Libraries are proud and grateful to collaborate with the Duke Marketing Club in order to bring to our entire campus community such enjoyment and inspiration. Until next time, up, up, and away!

Deborah Jakubs

Vice Provost for Library Affairs and Rita DiGiallonardo Holloway University Librarian

Share and discuss “Special thanks for the Heroes and Villains Library Party” on social media.