DukeEthicist: hard line on hazing

How should we evaluate the merits of hazing through both an ethical and cultural lens?

Generic Script

Drawing the Line

Standing at the bus stop waiting for a C-2 to roll by, I find myself focused on the many conversations happening around me. I hear similar expressions: “that party last night really sucked…” or “that candidate’s plan to decrease unemployment has no hope for America’s success” and more recently “the house model is really screwing me over.”  Our generation was trained to tear apart what’s wrong with what we see, but we weren’t simultaneously taught the skills to suggest constructive solutions.  Essays earning A’s are the ones that can most skillfully critique theories, not build upon them. “That group of guys is so lame” is socially much “cooler” to say than “they seem to enjoy each others company a lot.” Negativity is hip.

Making decisions of deletion as opposed to correction can be very detrimental in institutions. I believe that “hazing” should not be deleted from our institution, but corrected. Gasp! Obviously, in the most conventional sense of the word, no form of hazing should be permitted on this campus. However, the word “hazing” has been generalized and used to encompass many behaviors that I deem appropriate. Social group’s actions are being criticized without being given a fair analysis – merits not being considered. As is the norm in our society, no adequate alternatives to “brotherhood creation” are being suggested, and all forms of hazing – good or bad – are being done away with. When something is removed without being replaced, it creates a vacuum in which chaos can ensue, or more appropriately for this example, eliminates an integral part of the whole.

In Duke’s history, “hazing” has had positive repercussions. It has created a life lasting connection to this institution, to social groups, as well as other Blue Devils for thousands of our students. Some of Duke’s most generous alumni donors were members of social groups, and arguably would not be as dedicated to the community had they not been “hazed.”

Obviously, there is a line that that needs to be drawn. But that’s the point, that line is not being drawn. We cannot take the easy way out and group all forms of organized camaraderie under the illicit hazing. We must resist the societal tendency and instead analyze, critique, and most importantly, supplant the inappropriate behavior with constructive substitutes. I would encourage the Greek community and the SLG community to work with the administration to draw the line together as to what is appropriate and inappropriate to take place on this campus when it comes to initiating new members into groups. Often, not making a decision is just as bad as making the wrong one. We must draw the line, together, as a community.

The Duke Ethicist is a project of the Honor Council which responds to ethical questions posed by the Duke community. Our purpose is to provide a medium through which students may anonymously seek advice or spark dialogue. Got a question? Send it to dukeethicist@gmail.com, and look out for a response on our blog.

Share and discuss “DukeEthicist: hard line on hazing” on social media.