Duke stumbles on the road against Vanderbilt

Goalkeeper Mollie Mackler battled illness and seven Commodore free position opportunities Sunday.

Despite holding an edge in shots and draw controls, the Blue Devils were upset Sunday by Vanderbilt 7-5 in Nashville, Tenn.

No. 5 Duke (2-1) was unable to capitalize on these advantages largely because of its inability to defend the Commodores’ free position shots. No. 19 Vanderbilt (1-0) netted 6-of-7 free position opportunities, essentially nullifying the Blue Devils’ shooting edge. Duke was 0-for-3 on its own free position chances.

“Those were tough shots,” Duke head coach Kerstin Kimel said. “Vanderbilt is a good shooting team, and some of the shots were really well placed. Obviously we don’t want to give up those free positions.”

The Commodores played aggressive defense, holding Duke to its lowest goal total since Feb. 2010. The Blue Devils struggled to find continuity on offense, turning the ball over 16 times.

“We never put ourselves in a position to get any kind of rhythm going,” Kimel said. “We didn’t have the ball for a long time, and when we had it, we didn’t do anything with it.”

Duke was also solid defensively, particularly considering the loss of senior Bridget Nolan to an injury just five minutes into the game. Kimel also said senior goaltender Mollie Mackler has been battling a weeklong virus and was at less than full strength in yesterday’s loss.

“I’m really proud of our defense, especially after having only a day or two to prepare for this,” Kimel said. “We really only prepared for them on [Saturday]. They’re a high scoring offense that does some things differently.”

Blue Devil freshman Kerrin Maurer, who totaled four goals and eight assists in her first two college games, was again impressive against Vanderbilt. She netted two goals, including one that evened the game at 3-3 two minutes into the second half. The Commodores, though, then embarked on a 3-0 run over the game’s next seven minutes and lead 6-3 with 18:25 to play.

“I’m really pleased that she took advantage of a couple of situations, was heads-up and savvy and finished when it mattered,” Kimel said. “She’s a great gamer.”

The Blue Devils drew within two with just 3:38 to play when Maurer scored off an assist from senior Kim Wenger. After sophomore Taylor Virden controlled the ensuing draw, it appeared Duke had a chance at mounting a comeback. But Vanderbilt controlled a Blue Devil miss off the crossbar and never allowed Duke another chance on goal.

“I think this will be a growing game for us,” Kimel said. “This was not a typical Duke women’s lacrosse game from our standpoint. We’ll get back to work, look at some film and I feel confident we’ll get back to ourselves.”

Share and discuss “Duke stumbles on the road against Vanderbilt” on social media.