Duke pummels Demon Deacons

Wake Forest caught Duke napping in the first few minutes of the game, but the Blue Devils quickly woke up and cruised to a 75-43 victory at Cameron Indoor Stadium. The Blue Devils (18-3, 9-0 in the ACC) overcame a sloppy performance in the early going to stay the only undefeated team this season in ACC play. Duke was led by Elizabeth Williams, who had 16 points on 7-of-12 shooting from the floor. She also added nine rebounds. She has proved to be trouble for the Demon Deacons (12-10, 2-7) this year, recording 18 points, 16 rebounds and 12 blocks against Wake Forest in the teams' first meeting on Jan. 6. Chelsea Douglas led the way for Wake Forest with 11 points. The Blue Devils took some time to get going, as sloppy offensive execution and turnovers kept the game close in the opening minutes. Duke was able to catch fire near the end of the first half and take a 36-19 lead into halftime despite committing 15 first-half turnovers. Wake Forest had even more trouble keeping the ball, though, and went into halftime with as many turnovers as points. Haley Peters paced the Duke offense in the opening period, scoring 13 of her game-high 18 points in the opening frame. She also added a team-high 11 rebounds for her first career double-double. Duke never looked back in the second half, continuing to knock down shots and force turnovers as they extended their lead. By the game’s end, four Blue Devils had reached double-digit scoring. The Blue Devils controlled the inside throughout the game, outrebounding the Demon Deacons by a 54-39 margin, including 18 boards on the offensive end. Sophomore Richa Jackson also registered her first career double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds for Duke, also adding a career-high five steals.

Share and discuss “Duke pummels Demon Deacons” on social media.