Cutcliffe, Duke prepare for spring practice

Kelby Brown and several other starters from 2011 are still fighting injuries from last season as the Blue Devils begin spring practice.

As Duke prepares to host the first of its spring practices, head coach David Cutcliffe has more preparation to do than usual.

Student Health Executive Director Dr. William Purdy reported in an email to all students Monday that there had been “several cases” of norovirus infections, commonly known as the stomach flu, diagnosed within the last week.

“I went straight to Lowe’s,” Cutcliffe said about hearing the report. “You have to have that hydrochloride bleach, so I went and bought cases of this stuff, and I cleaned the Yoh [Center]… for four hours.”

At least 15 Blue Devils were infected with the H1N1 virus, or swine flu, during summer practices leading up to the 2009 season.

The Blue Devils will open practice today, using one of 15 official practices they can hold this spring per NCAA regulations.

Duke will hold its annual spring game Saturday, Mar. 31, at Wallace Wade Stadium.

Even if Duke avoids illness, though, the team is still shorthanded heading into spring practice. Cutcliffe said tight end Braxton Deaver and defensive end Jordan Dewalt-Ondijo will miss the entire spring after undergoing leg surgeries in January. Defensive end Kenny Anunike is still recovering from a torn ACL he suffered in the middle of last season. Conner Vernon and Kelby Brown are also out indefinitely with injuries.

Cutcliffe also said the team will be trying certain players out at different positions, most notably sending Brandon Braxton from wide receiver—where he caught 40 passes for 352 yards in 2011—to safety.

—from staff reports

Share and discuss “Cutcliffe, Duke prepare for spring practice” on social media.